CLEP Calculus Test: Deriving General Solution to y' = sin X

• Thread starter 3.141592654
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the question was asking for a general solution to a differential equation, but the answer provided was not the correct one.

Homework Statement

I was looking into taking the Calculus CLEP Exam and came across this practice problem:

Derive the general solution to the following differential equation: y' = sin x.

A. sin y + cos x = C
B. tan y = C
C. sin y - cos x = C
D. cos x = C
E. cos x - sin y = C

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I thought was that the question was asking for me to integrate y'=sin X. If y' = sin X, then y = -cos x + C. I didn't know what they wanted me to do so I simply set this equal to zero, so -cos x + C = 0 and therefore cos X=C. However, D is not the correct answer. So, my question is: what is it that the question is asking me to do when it says it wants a "general solution to ...[a] differential equation"?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be relevant to state that choices A-E are answers for a multiple choice problem and not five parts to the problem.

3.141592654 said:

Homework Statement

I was looking into taking the Calculus CLEP Exam and came across this practice problem:

Derive the general solution to the following differential equation: y' = sin x.

A. sin y + cos x = C
B. tan y = C
C. sin y - cos x = C
D. cos x = C
E. cos x - sin y = C

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I thought was that the question was asking for me to integrate y'=sin X. If y' = sin X, then y = -cos x + C. I didn't know what they wanted me to do so I simply set this equal to zero, so -cos x + C = 0 and therefore cos X=C. However, D is not the correct answer. So, my question is: what is it that the question is asking me to do when it says it wants a "general solution to ...[a] differential equation"?

Your first inclination was correct. The solution to this differential equation is y = -cos x + C. That is the general solution. I have no idea why this is not listed as an option. Is what you showed the exact wording of the problem?

Yea, the text I provided is the exact wording. The answer, which was listed at the bottom of the page, was listed as (A) and states:

A. In order to be correct, a general solution to a differential equation must satisfy both the homogenous and non-homogenous equations.

Our solution satisfies the DE. If y = -cos x + C, then dy/dx = sin x.

The homogeneous problem would be y' = 0, for which the solution is y = C. The nonhomogeneous problem is y' = sin x, for which the general solution is y = -cos x + C.

I think there might be a typo in the CLEP answer. They might have meant to say y + cos x = C, which would be equivalent to our answer, instead of sin y + cos x = C.

Can you explain what the homogeneous and nonhomogeneous problems are? I haven't come across those terms before.

A differential equation can be represented as f(y, y', y'', ..., y(n)) = g(x). On the left side you have some function of y and its derivatives. On the right side there is some other function of the independent variable.

The homogeneous equation is f(y, y', y'', ..., y(n)) = 0. The one above is the nonhomogeneous equation. For your problem, you have y' = sin x. (There is no y term.) The homogeneous equation is y' = 0, and the nonhomogeneous equation is y' = sin x.

Another example is y'' + y = x, a nonhomogeneous DE. The related homogeneous equation is y'' + y = 0, whose solution is y = Asin x + Bcos x. The general solution of the nonhomogeneous equation turns out to be y = Asin x + Bcos x + x, and is made up of the solution to the homogeneous equation plus what is called a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous problem.

The term "homogeneous" is also used in a different context in differential equations, which can lead to some confusion. In that sense of the word, a differential equation in the form y' = f(y/x) is said to be homogeneous. My sense is that in the world of differential equations, the description I gave before is much more commonly used.

1. What is the purpose of the CLEP Calculus Test?

The CLEP Calculus Test is designed to assess a student's understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques of calculus, including the ability to solve problems involving derivatives and integrals.

2. What is the format of the CLEP Calculus Test?

The CLEP Calculus Test consists of two sections: a 90-minute multiple-choice section and a 45-minute free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 44 questions, while the free-response section contains 6 questions.

3. What is the topic of "Deriving General Solution to y' = sin X" in the CLEP Calculus Test?

This topic falls under the "Applications of Integration" section of the CLEP Calculus Test. It tests a student's ability to use integration techniques to solve differential equations, specifically those involving sine functions.

4. How can I prepare for the CLEP Calculus Test?

There are several ways to prepare for the CLEP Calculus Test, including studying with a review book or course, practicing with past exams, and reviewing key concepts and formulas. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the test format and timing.

5. Is the CLEP Calculus Test accepted for college credit?

Yes, the CLEP Calculus Test is accepted for college credit at over 2,900 colleges and universities in the United States. However, it is important to check with your specific institution to see if they accept CLEP exams and what score is required for credit.