1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CLEP Test Question

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was looking into taking the Calculus CLEP Exam and came across this practice problem:

Derive the general solution to the following differential equation: y' = sin x.

A. sin y + cos x = C
    B. tan y = C
    C. sin y - cos x = C
    D. cos x = C
    E. cos x - sin y = C

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I thought was that the question was asking for me to integrate y'=sin X. If y' = sin X, then y = -cos x + C. I didn't know what they wanted me to do so I simply set this equal to zero, so -cos x + C = 0 and therefore cos X=C. However, D is not the correct answer. So, my question is: what is it that the question is asking me to do when it says it wants a "general solution to ...[a] differential equation"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    It might be relevant to state that choices A-E are answers for a multiple choice problem and not five parts to the problem.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your first inclination was correct. The solution to this differential equation is y = -cos x + C. That is the general solution. I have no idea why this is not listed as an option. Is what you showed the exact wording of the problem?

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4
    Yea, the text I provided is the exact wording. The answer, which was listed at the bottom of the page, was listed as (A) and states:

A. In order to be correct, a general solution to a differential equation must satisfy both the homogenous and non-homogenous equations.

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5

Mark44

Our solution satisfies the DE. If y = -cos x + C, then dy/dx = sin x.

The homogeneous problem would be y' = 0, for which the solution is y = C. The nonhomogeneous problem is y' = sin x, for which the general solution is y = -cos x + C.

I think there might be a typo in the CLEP answer. They might have meant to say y + cos x = C, which would be equivalent to our answer, instead of sin y + cos x = C.

7. Nov 5, 2009 #6
    Can you explain what the homogeneous and nonhomogeneous problems are? I haven't come across those terms before.

8. Nov 5, 2009 #7

Mark44

A differential equation can be represented as f(y, y', y'', ..., y(n)) = g(x). On the left side you have some function of y and its derivatives. On the right side there is some other function of the independent variable.

The homogeneous equation is f(y, y', y'', ..., y(n)) = 0. The one above is the nonhomogeneous equation. For your problem, you have y' = sin x. (There is no y term.) The homogeneous equation is y' = 0, and the nonhomogeneous equation is y' = sin x.

Another example is y'' + y = x, a nonhomogeneous DE. The related homogeneous equation is y'' + y = 0, whose solution is y = Asin x + Bcos x. The general solution of the nonhomogeneous equation turns out to be y = Asin x + Bcos x + x, and is made up of the solution to the homogeneous equation plus what is called a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous problem.

The term "homogeneous" is also used in a different context in differential equations, which can lead to some confusion. In that sense of the word, a differential equation in the form y' = f(y/x) is said to be homogeneous. My sense is that in the world of differential equations, the description I gave before is much more commonly used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook