Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clock hands

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    In special relativity the clock hands velocity is represented by:

V = v0*(1-v2/c2)^1/2

then:

What happen with electrons angular velocity in atomic structure?

It may be the same?:

V = v0*(1-v2/c2)^1/2

if this could be true

what happen with matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The Bohr model of the atom, with electrons traveling in definite orbits, has been obsolete since about 1925. You need to learn about quantum mechanics.

4. Aug 7, 2009 #3
    Anyway if electrons are in motion in atomic structure.
    what happen with this motion, for example at the speed of light?
    and what happen with matter, again?

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4

JesseM

Science Advisor

Just figure out how the system behaves in its own rest frame, then use the Lorentz transformation (or time dilation + length contraction + relativity of simultaneity) to figure out how it behaves in a frame where it's moving at speed v.

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5
    ok. lenght contraction, time dilation, but matter?

I think matter vanish..............

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6

JesseM

Science Advisor

Matter with nonzero rest mass can't travel at the speed of light in SR--if you try to accelerate a given mass to some velocity v, as v approaches c the energy you need to accelerate it to that speed approaches infinity.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7
    May be I try to explain little things that relativity doesn´t explain yet (but according to relativity), but I can continue, everything I say after this will be called speculative.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's kinda the definition of speculative, yes. However, what you've said about traveling at C is not beyond what Relativity discusses, it just contradicts it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook