Understanding Closed Feedwater Heaters and Regeneration in the Rankine Cycle

In summary, the feedwater in a closed feedwater heater is heated to the exit temperature of the extracted steam. The temperature of the exhaust gas leaving the regenerator can be lower than the gas right before the combustion chamber because heat transfer is perfect in an ideal system.
bobboxx
I have a question on the rankine cycle with a closed feedwater heater. My thermo book says that in an ideal closed feedwater heater, the feedwater is heated to the exit temperature of the extracted steam. I don't really understand this. I know the bleed steam from the turbine is cooled to a saturated liquid after it heats the feedwater but I don't what limits the two exit temperatures to be equal.

Also I have a general questions about regeneration. I was looking at a regenerator in which exhaust gas from a turbine is used to preheat the gas before it enters the combustion chamber. How is it possible for the exhaust gas leaving the regenerator(cooled) be at a lower temperature than the gas right before the combustion chamber(heated). I would think that if the exhaust gas were at a lower temperature the heat transfer would be reversed.

Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
"in an ideal closed feedwater heater, the feedwater is heated to the exit temperature of the extracted steam"
Well its pretty much easy. All you are doing in a feedwater heating system is reducing the work required for the compressor(a few more things also, but this is the priority now). When the compressor compresses, the feedwater is heated to some temperature depending upon the pressure jump, now a calculated amount of steam is allowed to pass through the heater(either contact or non contact type exchanger). this amount is calculated by assuming the heat released by change of phase of steam is equal to the heat required to raise the temperature to the phase change temperature. Keep in mind that phase change is an isothermal process,=> temperature remains constant. Ofcourse now as the system is assumed ideal and heat transfer perfect, feedwater temp is same as that of extracted steam. Or it can be even higher, if the steam is bleeded in superheated region.

1. What is a closed feedwater heater?

A closed feedwater heater is a type of heat exchanger used in power plants to preheat and deaerate (remove oxygen) from the feedwater before it enters the boiler. This process helps to increase the efficiency of the boiler and prevent corrosion.

2. How does a closed feedwater heater work?

In a closed feedwater heater, the hot steam from the turbine is used to heat the cooler feedwater from the condenser. This causes the feedwater to partially vaporize and remove dissolved oxygen. The heated and deaerated feedwater is then sent to the boiler for further heating.

3. What are the benefits of using a closed feedwater heater?

Using a closed feedwater heater can help to improve the overall efficiency of a power plant. It also helps to reduce the amount of oxygen and other impurities in the feedwater, which can prevent corrosion in the boiler and other components of the power plant.

4. Are there different types of closed feedwater heaters?

Yes, there are two main types of closed feedwater heaters: direct contact and indirect contact. In a direct contact heater, the steam and feedwater come in direct contact with each other. In an indirect contact heater, the steam and feedwater are separated by a heat transfer surface.

5. How is the performance of a closed feedwater heater measured?

The performance of a closed feedwater heater is typically measured by its efficiency, which is the amount of heat transferred from the steam to the feedwater compared to the total amount of heat available in the steam. The efficiency can be affected by factors such as the design, temperature, and pressure of the heater.