Coaxial Cable With Potential Difference between conductors

In summary, the current in the inner conductor of a coaxial cable is flowing away from the light bulb, as conventional current flow is from the outer conductor through the bulb to the inner conductor. The dimensions of the cable do not affect the direction of the current as it is a steady flow of DC current. Maxwell's Equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the OP's initial thinking on the direction of the current was correct. However, the continuous loop of current can be explained by the potential difference between the outer and inner conductor, where the electric field points radially inward and the current flows from the higher electric potential to the lower electric potential.
Garfungle
1. A coaxial cable is powering a light bulb with a steady flow of current (DC current). The electric potential difference between the outer and the inner conductor of the cable is delta V and the current flowing in the cable is I. The inner conductor's outer radius is a and the outer conductor's inner radius is b.

Given that the higher electric potential is at the outer conductor, in which direction is the current in the inner conductor flowing, towards the light bulb or away from it?

2. Maxwell's Equations

∫ Eds = -d∅/dt

∫Bds = μI + εμ d∅/dt

3. I believe the current in the inner conductor is flowing away from the light bulb. I think the current travels from the outer conductor to the light bulb to light it. Then after, it goes through the inner conductor.

The problems I have with my thinking is how can there be this continuous loop. I know that because there is a potential difference between the outer shell and inner shell (E-Field points radially inward) and I know that it would make sense for current to flow from the positive (higher electric potential) to the negative (lower electric potential), but I don't think my logic is correct.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The OP is correct. Conventional current flow is from the outer (+ve) through the bulb to the inner (-ve). So it would be towards the bulb in the outer and away from the bulb in the inner.

The problem statement says the current is DC so the dimensions of the cable are irrelevant.

1. What is a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors?

A coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors is a type of cable used for transmitting signals or electrical power. It consists of two conductors that are separated by an insulating material and have a potential difference between them. This potential difference allows for the transmission of electrical energy or signals through the cable.

2. How does a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors work?

A coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors works by utilizing the concept of capacitance. The inner conductor carries a positive charge and the outer conductor carries an equal and opposite negative charge, creating an electric field between them. This electric field allows for the transmission of electrical energy or signals through the cable with minimal interference.

3. What are the advantages of using a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors?

There are several advantages of using a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors. These include high bandwidth capabilities, low signal loss, and resistance to electromagnetic interference. This type of cable is also relatively easy to install and maintain.

4. What are the applications of a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors?

A coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors is commonly used in telecommunications, cable television, and computer networking. It can also be used in high-frequency applications such as radio frequency transmission and medical equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors?

One limitation of using a coaxial cable with potential difference between conductors is that it is not suitable for long-distance transmission. As the distance increases, the potential difference between the conductors decreases, leading to a decrease in signal strength. Additionally, this type of cable can be more expensive than other types of cables, which may be a limitation for certain applications.