How Do You Calculate the Stopping Time and Displacement of a Skier on a Slope?

• Thread starter sonoftunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: This acceleration will cause the skier to slow down and then come to a stop. Use the kinematic equations to solve for the time and displacement. In summary, to find the time until the skier comes to a stop and her displacement, you can use the kinematic equations and the known values of mass, initial velocity, angle of the slope, and coefficient of friction. First, find the net acceleration on the skier by using the known values and Newton's Second Law. Then, use this acceleration to solve for the time and displacement using the kinematic equations. It is important to note that you have to consider the component force of gravity acting parallel to the hill when finding the acceleration.
sonoftunk

Homework Statement

A young skier (25kg) pushes off with ski poles to give herself an initial velocity of 3.5 m/s down a hill with 5o slope with a coefficient of friction of 0.20.
Find the time until skier comes to stop and her displacement.
Therefore
m = 25kg
vi = 3.5m/s
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 5o
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.20

Homework Equations

All kinematic-based equations
Newton's Laws (specifically [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/tex] = m([tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}/[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t)
FF = [tex]\mu[/tex]FN

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea for this was to find the FNET and sub that into Newton's Second Law, solving for [tex]\Delta[/tex]t (assuming that [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex]f is zero)
My solution for [tex]\Delta[/tex]t was 1.3 seconds, correct to two significant digits (to me, that seems quite off)

For the second half of the question, finding the distance, I used [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{d}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex]i + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/tex]([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)2 using [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/tex] as the component force of gravity acting parallel to the hill and I got 23m, correct to 2 significant digits.

I was then told I completed the question completely wrong. Now I'm lost. What was I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe consider it is a Kinetic Energy to work from friction problem?

Work would be the (μ*mg*cos5° - mg*sin5°) times the distance and that would equal the KE.

I haven't learned kinetic energy yet...

BTW, this is a correspondence coarse for Grade 12 Physics in Ontario..

You know the frictional force, so find the net acceleration on the skier due to friction and gravity.

What is a coefficient of friction?

A coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance or friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a unitless value that indicates the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force pressing the surfaces together.

How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined through experiments in which one surface is moved over another at a constant speed, and the force required to maintain that speed is measured. The ratio of this force to the normal force between the surfaces is the coefficient of friction. It can also be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force by the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact (roughness, texture, etc.), the applied force, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants between the surfaces.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is used in engineering to design and optimize systems that involve sliding or rolling contact, such as brakes, tires, and bearings. It is also important in everyday life, as it affects the ease with which we can move objects or walk on different surfaces.

How does the coefficient of friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of friction refers to the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force between the surfaces, while the coefficient of kinetic friction specifically refers to the ratio of the force required to maintain a constant speed between the surfaces to the normal force. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction, as it only considers the force required to maintain motion, rather than the force required to overcome the initial resistance to motion.