1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficents of Friction

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A young skier (25kg) pushes off with ski poles to give herself an initial velocity of 3.5 m/s down a hill with 5o slope with a coefficient of friction of 0.20.
    Find the time until skier comes to stop and her displacement.
    m = 25kg
    vi = 3.5m/s
    [tex]\theta[/tex] = 5o
    [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.20

2. Relevant equations
    All kinematic-based equations
    Newton's Laws (specifically [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/tex] = m([tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}/[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t)
    FF = [tex]\mu[/tex]FN

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea for this was to find the FNET and sub that into Newton's Second Law, solving for [tex]\Delta[/tex]t (assuming that [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex]f is zero)
    My solution for [tex]\Delta[/tex]t was 1.3 seconds, correct to two significant digits (to me, that seems quite off)

For the second half of the question, finding the distance, I used [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{d}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex]i + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/tex]([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)2 using [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/tex] as the component force of gravity acting parallel to the hill and I got 23m, correct to 2 significant digits.

I was then told I completed the question completely wrong. Now I'm lost. What was I supposed to do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Maybe consider it is a Kinetic Energy to work from friction problem?

Work would be the (μ*mg*cos5° - mg*sin5°) times the distance and that would equal the KE.
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    I haven't learned kinetic energy yet...

BTW, this is a correspondence coarse for Grade 12 Physics in Ontario..
  5. Dec 19, 2008 #4
    You know the frictional force, so find the net acceleration on the skier due to friction and gravity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?