1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Coefficient of Friction between slide/girl

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 36kg girl slides down a slide that is 4.5m long. At the bottom of slide she is moving at 3 m/sec. If slide is inclined at 35 degrees find the coefficient of friction between slide and girl.

2. Relevant equations

Ff = μ*Force normal
    Total energy = KE + PE
    KE = 1/2 mv^2
    PE = mgh
    Total energy = F cosθ

3. The attempt at a solution

KE = 162 using above formula, PE = 911.15. Total energy = 1073.15
    F = 1310.32 using the cosθ formula.

And that is where I am stuck - is the F the normal force or the Ff (from friction) how would I solve for the coefficient from this point? And have I even approached it in the right way so far?

2. jcsd
  3. PeterO

PeterO 2,319
    Homework Helper

Firstly; how did you get that PE figure - not enough to say using the formula above as I need to know what values you used for m, g and h.

Secondly; why did you add KE and PE together? Surely we had pE at the top and KE at the bottom, but never both at the same time [perhaps half and half on the way down, but you were considering the top and the bottom, I hope]
    You said,
    Total energy = KE + PE

At the top that would be Total energy = 0 + PE
    At the bottom that would be Total energy = KE + 0

And those two totals are different, due to the friction.

Edit: Total energy = F cosθ makes you group of formulas look like a grab-bag of possibilities, rather than a reasoned list of what actually applies.

4. gneill

Staff: Mentor

At the top of the slide the girl has PE = 911 J. At the bottom, her KE is only 162 J. What happened to the rest of the PE? How much work was done by friction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?