Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffee & studying

1. will increases alertness

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. will decrease concentration

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Jan 1, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, I am in conflict. Does a bit of coffee actually help studying by increasing alertness or does it just decrease concentration??

I think I'll just use coffee to stay awake this evening and read all night long or something

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2004 #2
    The fact is, coffee has wildly varying effects on different people. One cup can cause some people to climb the walls in frenzy, while others have a more mellow, mildly energized reaction.

4. Jan 1, 2004 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coca-Cola is a better alternative for me when it come for mental efforts. Coca-cola has sugar, the energy source for the brain, and twice as much caffein. Coffee has no effect on me.

5. Jan 1, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, a pot of coffee is a good start.

6. Jan 1, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once had a small cup of coffee at an afternoon Christmas party.. I was hyper and rattling the whole evening and couldn't get my eyes to close until 2 am, having to get up and work again at 5.30

Those people liked strong coffee, and to impress the guests with their habit I guess they added a few extra scoops :P after that I only drank tea at their place :D

7. Jan 1, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

College turned me into a complete coffee fiend. I have been a coffee drinker since age 10, but in college, at times I nearly lived on coffee just to stay awake. I have a very high tolerance now. Tsunami and I drink the French Roast, which is very dark and strong, but allegedly the roasting cooks the caffeine out of the beans. So really, we drink very strong flavored coffee that is relatively low on caffeine.

I am not sure if the reduced caffeine claims are really true but they seem to be. A cup of cheap hotel coffee sends me into orbit. [well, maybe a few cups]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  8. Jan 1, 2004 #7
    It definitely increases my alertness, and I'd say I drink four espresso shots a day on average. From what I understand an average espresso shot is ~50mg of caffeine, and an average drip cup of coffee contains ~100mg. I've read wild variances in what the half life of caffeine is, but I generally try to not have more than ~100mg at once. Too much and I'm so lucid that I start seeing tracers

In short: A nice single shot of espresso properly brewed will increase your lucidity, but it generally won't make you hyperactive. Be sure to visit CoffeeGeek to learn how to make that proper shot.

9. Jan 1, 2004 #8
    I prefer tea. During the week, I drink about 5 cups a day; on the weekend, it's more like 8-10 cups a day. I'm drinking a cup right now actually. Interesting side note, I remember hearing an interview on NPR about a month or so ago with a foreign newspaper correspondant in Iraq who would drink about 25 cups of tea a day, because he had to work through the night to get the stories finished and sent out on time. All that tea, however, caused him to have abnormal heart rhythms that could lead to a heart attack were he to continue with his excessive drinking habit. There were probably other factors involved, but even still, it gives you something to think about.

10. Jan 2, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I only drink green/herb teas so I believe there is no caffeine in that.

My previous roommate used to drink soo much coffee, huge mugs a practically all the time.. she was always hyper, studying and studying and complaining about her heart and that she had so much trouble concentrating.

I told her that the coffee were causing her symptoms.

In the end she went to see a cardiologist because of the rhythm problems, she thought she had some kind of scary disorder :P turned out it was the coffee after all :D

11. Jan 2, 2004 #10
    I drink coffee only when I feel sleepy but need to stay up, probably after a few nights without much sleep. However, I don't think caffeine helps me to concentrate on my studies, but decreases the effectiveness of studying. It only allows me to skim through a few more pages.

Well, drinking too much coffee for a long period of time may affect our health. This is the mainly reason why I drink coffee only when necessary.

In fact I don't believe caffeine can help improving our academic performances in the long run by helping us to stay awake. Afterall our brains need rests more than stimulants.

12. Jan 2, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, but what if you didn't get that good night sleep you needed? It just takes an awfull long time to read a sentence, some caffeine helps, but then I get distracted..

The problem is that I can't get a good night sleep when I am studying, maybe I should buy some running shoes and get some good exercise between chapters :P

13. Jan 2, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

THAT will help both with the studying AND the good night's sleep!!

14. Jan 2, 2004 #13
    Coffee, Coke, and other caffeine-filled drinks make me sleepy [zz)]. I often have green tea, but mostly I stick to water, cordial, fruit juice...

15. Jan 2, 2004 #14
    Hot chocolate here! It tastes better and has less caffeine than coffee, but watch the sugar. Drug interactions prevent me from imbibing cola and coffee - they make me irritable.

Doesn't green tea have caffeine naturally, Monique? Green tea's good for many health reasons (e. g., as an anticarcinogen) as opposed to coffee, though.

I prefer a clear head for studying.

16. Jan 2, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

I believe that all teas naturally have caffeine (except for straight herbals - chamomille, peppermint, etc) but green tea has less caffeine than black teas. I've heard that Orange Pekoe (your basic Lipton teabag) has as much or MORE caffeine than coffee, but I don't know how true this is.

17. Jan 2, 2004 #16
    Every night there should be a period of time in which you feel the sleepest. If you can go through this sleepest period, you'll be able to stay up at late as you like. So maybe during this sleepest period, do some exercise to keep you awake ?

Same as Loren Booda, I prefer a clear head for studying. :wink:

18. Jan 2, 2004 #17
    Cold chocolate is my choice. I hate the way hot/warm drinks leave a warm trail down your gullet, a cold trail gives me more Oomph.

19. Jan 3, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the prob is that I can't fall to sleep when I've been studying, and I can't study when I didn't get proper sleep..

The exercise would help me fall asleep, and the sleep will help me to study :P

20. Jan 3, 2004 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesterday I just went to bed early with my 1500 paged book and started reading there.. at least I can't be distracted being pinned to the ceiling.. :wink: I somehow fell asleep soon after, after which I woke up at 3, went down to get a cup of tea and a banana and finished a whole chapter, after those few hours reading I went back to sleep again :P

And I feel fresh like a Duck today!

21. Jan 3, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Your bed is pinned to the ceiling??????????
    Like a...Duck??? (Is that a Dutch espression? Here we say 'fresh as a daisy'. I like yours LOTS better!! I really enjoy exploring cultural differences like these.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?