Calculating Magnetic Dipole Moment & Torque of Coil in Magnetic Field

In summary, a circular coil with 20 turns and a radius of 12.8 cm carries a current of 2.70 A and is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 60.0 mT with an initial angle of 26.0o between the coil's magnetic moment and the magnetic field. The magnetic dipole moment of the coil is found to be 2.779 A*m^2 and the torque acting on the coil is 7.31E-2 N*m. To find the work required to rotate the coil so that the B-field lies in the plane of the coil, the equation T=uoBsin(theta) can be used, where uo is the magnetic dipole moment, B
lindsebn

Homework Statement

A circular coil having 20 turns and a radius of R = 12.8 cm carries a current of 2.70 A. It is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 60.0 mT. The initial angle between the magnetic moment of the coil μ and the magnetic field B is 26.0o.
1)Calculate the magnetic dipole moment of the coil.
2)What is the magnitude of the torque acting on the coil?
3)How much work is required to rotate the coil so that the B-field lies in the plane of the coil?

Homework Equations

x=uo M/B

The Attempt at a Solution

so I solved for uo by using the equation uo=NAI and got 2.779 but now I do not know what to do and if the equation my professor gave is correct. Then on parts 2 and 3 I don't know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got part one and part 2. I think I misunderstood the problem because part one is asking for uo which I solved for and got 2.78 A*m^2 which was correct. Then with this I can find the torque for part 2 with the equation T=uoBsin(theta). So I used this equation and I got 7.31E-2 N*m which was correct. Now I have part 3-how much work is needed-to solve for and i am not sure what I am supposed to do.

1. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole, which is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic poles separated by a small distance. It is often represented by the symbol μ and is measured in units of ampere-meter squared (A·m2).

2. How do you calculate the magnetic dipole moment of a coil?

The magnetic dipole moment of a coil can be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the coil by the area of the coil and the number of turns in the coil. The formula for magnetic dipole moment is μ = I * A * N, where I is the current in amperes, A is the area in square meters, and N is the number of turns in the coil.

3. What is the torque experienced by a coil in a magnetic field?

The torque experienced by a coil in a magnetic field is the rotational force exerted on the coil due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the coil. It is calculated using the formula τ = μ x B, where τ is the torque in newton-meters (N·m), μ is the magnetic dipole moment, and B is the strength of the magnetic field in teslas (T).

4. How do you calculate the torque of a coil in a magnetic field?

The torque of a coil in a magnetic field can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic dipole moment of the coil by the strength of the magnetic field and the sine of the angle between the coil and the magnetic field. The formula for torque is τ = μ * B * sin(θ), where θ is the angle between the coil and the magnetic field.

5. What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment and torque of a coil?

The magnetic dipole moment and torque of a coil are affected by several factors, including the current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, the area of the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. The angle between the coil and the magnetic field also affects the torque of the coil. Additionally, the orientation and shape of the coil can also impact these values.