Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
fresh_42 said:
The lunar eclipse this month in Central Europe:

View attachment 228626
I have seen this style of photo a few times over the last year or so
It's a dig at the FE Soc. clowns ... but there is a major problem with it, as it depicts the colours incorrectly
a flat Earth disk side on is only going to show the eclipse colour in an area across the moon, not over the whole moon

It should be akin to something like this ( excuse my poor quick paintbrush edit, I don't have Photoshop on work PC) ...

full-moon FE eclipse.JPG
Tongue firmly in cheek :wink::-p:biggrin::rolleyes:

Dave
 
Attachments
  • full-moon FE eclipse.JPG
    full-moon FE eclipse.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Physics news on Phys.org
The illumination through the atmosphere is much dimmer than the direct illumination. It would be a black band if the Moon is just at the horizon. For other positions of the Moon it would look different. Which brings up the interesting question how that is possible (on a flat Earth) as different observers see the Moon at different places in the sky at the same time. Well, basic geometry was never their strength.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Ibix
My school physics teacher (an amateur astronomer, in fact) was a member of the Flat Earth Society under the pseudonym Quentin Cumbére. He thought it was funny that (back in the days of paper-based record keeping) there was some Flat Earth Society member somewhere typing out address labels to Mr Q. Cumbére.

I think that qualifies as lame.
 
mfb said:
Well, basic geometry was never their strength
Neither is logic
 
davenn said:
I have seen this style of photo a few times over the last year or so
It's a dig at the FE Soc. clowns ... but there is a major problem with it, as it depicts the colours incorrectly
a flat Earth disk side on is only going to show the eclipse colour in an area across the moon, not over the whole moon

It should be akin to something like this ( excuse my poor quick paintbrush edit, I don't have Photoshop on work PC) ...

View attachment 228639Tongue firmly in cheek :wink::-p:biggrin::rolleyes:

Dave
I know, but I found the obvious contradiction in colors is a kind of second twist of the joke, as it contradicts what it's primarily telling.
 
The truth is out:
complex_numbers_2x.png
 
Attachments
  • complex_numbers_2x.png
    complex_numbers_2x.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 866
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, collinsmark, jack action and 2 others
When life gives you lemons, stick nails and pennies into them and make batteries.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
Battery jokes:
hDE1337C7.png
b2fcb1059d5f69229304246903b6ada3--bipolar-disorder-funny-cartoons.jpg


36064.png
 
Attachments
  • hDE1337C7.png
    hDE1337C7.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • b2fcb1059d5f69229304246903b6ada3--bipolar-disorder-funny-cartoons.jpg
    b2fcb1059d5f69229304246903b6ada3--bipolar-disorder-funny-cartoons.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 36064.png
    36064.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: atyy, davenn, kith and 3 others
mfb said:
A battery that you can't discharge would be useless. Or illegal.
Law talk on the theme! ... It's always funny!
But at least those batteries they can charge and not discharge! ... or a lawyer (or D.A.) can get disbarred over this (ħ → h), or "crucified" (L†).
 
Last edited:
mfb said:
A battery that you can't discharge would be useless.
Quite the opposite. However, the rules forbid me to discuss a constant potential within a circuit.
 


That segmentation fault at the end :DD. Classic C. Favorited.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Craftek_Ana
e^x is walking down the road one day when he meets several other functions coming the other way.
One of them, x^2, cries "Run for your life! A differential is coming! He's already eliminated some constants!" as he runs past.
"Hah!" exclaimed e^x, "I'm not afraid of any differential; I'm e^x, and he can't affect me."
So he walked on a little further, and, sure enough, spied a differential coming towards him. He approached boldly and declared, "Hi, I'm e^x"
"Hello," answered the differential, grinning broadly, "I'm d/dy"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd, Wrichik Basu, Demystifier and 5 others
That reminds me of this*:

calczilla.png

Source: https://abstrusegoose.com/26

*(I'm pretty sure I've posted this before in this thread some years ago, but I think it's funny enough for a repeat.)
 
Attachments
  • calczilla.png
    calczilla.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 948
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Borg, 256bits and 1 other person
dextercioby said:
e^x is walking down the road ..
Is the joke that ##e^x ## is regarded as a constant w.r.t ##y##? So ##e^x## gets eliminated?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
nuuskur said:
Is the joke that ##e^x ## is regarded as a constant w.r.t ##y##? So ##e^x## gets eliminated?
Yes.
 
And the cosh(y) sinh(y) twins meet him head on.
 
I was going to write a joke about time travel. Unfortunately, you didn't like it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Demystifier, davenn and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
I was going to write a joke about time travel. Unfortunately, you didn't like it.
I've heard it before, in 2019.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur, Demystifier, davenn and 3 others
DrGreg said:
I've heard it before, in 2019.
Will it be this one?

The barman says "Get out! We respect causality in this establishment!"

A tachyon walks into the bar.
 
DrGreg said:
I've heard it before, in 2019.
DrGreg said:
You've said that before, in 2029!
Someone has got to buy a lottery ticket or stocks in the market ...
 
Two chemists walked into a bar. The first one ordered, "A glass of H20". The second one said, "I'll have an H20, too."
The second chemist died.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd, Keith_McClary, Demystifier and 6 others
chasrob said:
Two chemists walked into a bar. The first one ordered, "A glass of H20". The second one said, "I'll have an H20, too."
The second chemist died.
H2O2 ... yami! ...