College Physics II Charge/ Coulombs Law

In summary: The distances between the rightmost charge and the other two charges are 11.6 cm and 14.5 cm. That means that the force exerted by the other two charges on the rightmost charge is -(19.7) N.
kilroyjr

Homework Statement

A point particle that has a charge of 14.5 µC is located at x = 0, y = 0 and a point particle that has a charge q is located at x = 11.6 cm, y = 0. The electric force on a point particle that has a charge of 5.8 µC at x = 23.2 cm, y = 0 is -(19.7) N ihat. Determine the charge q.

Homework Equations

F = (k*q1*q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

-19.7 = ( 9e9 * 5.8e-6 * q ) / (.112^2)

F = ( 9e9 * 14.5e-6 * 5.8e-6 ) / (.232^2)

not sure what to do to solve this. Help fast please. Due in 1 hr

Physics news on Phys.org
there will be two equations...
F=(9e9*5.8e-6*q)/(.112^2) that is the force between first two charges
and
-19.7=[(9e9*q*14.5e-6)/(.112^2)]+[( 9e9 * 14.5e-6 * 5.8e-6 ) / (.232^2)]

i.e. the force b/w last two charges
this last equation gives you the charge n first equation eventually leads you to force on first charge.
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Last edited:
From what you said the charge from the second equation, I got q = -3.25e-6 and that is also not the correct answer. I don't need to be solving for force between any of the charges.

Any thing else?

The y-coordinates of all the charges are zero, so the charges all lie along a single line, the x-axis, and you won't have to deal with any trigonometry :smile:

The charge q lies to the right of both the other charges, so writing a single equation for the force exerted by the other two should be straightforward. To begin with, write the equation symbolically and don't plug in any numbers until you've solved for the appropriate variable.

Since you're interested in the force exerted on the rightmost charge by the other two it would be helpful to know the distances between that charge and the other two. What are they?

may i knw the correct answer?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that explains the relationship between electric charges. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is used to calculate the electric force between two charged objects. This force creates an electric field, which is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them, as described by Coulomb's Law.

3. What are the SI units for electric charge and force?

The SI unit for electric charge is the Coulomb (C), named after the scientist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb. The SI unit for force is the Newton (N). In Coulomb's Law, the force is measured in Newtons and the charges in Coulombs.

4. How does Coulomb's Law apply to multiple charged objects?

Coulomb's Law can be extended to apply to multiple charged objects by using vector addition. The total electric force on a charged object is the vector sum of the individual forces from each charged object. This allows us to calculate the net force on a charged object in a system of multiple charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many real-world applications, including in the fields of electronics, telecommunications, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of electric charges in circuits and to design electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as cell phones, computers, and power grids. Furthermore, Coulomb's Law is also used in the study of particles and atoms, as well as in the understanding of natural phenomena such as lightning and the formation of crystals.