Collisions in One Dimension

In summary, Kevin, who has a mass of 87kg and is skating with in-line skates, sees his 22-kg younger brother up ahead standing on the sidewalk, with his back turned. He grabs his brother and rolls off at a speed of 3.4 m/s. Ignoring friction, Kevin's speed just before grabbing his brother can be found using the equation Mv=(M+m)v_f, where M is Kevin's mass and m is his brother's mass. The correct answer should be greater than 3 m/s, as Kevin gains speed by picking up his brother.
pstfleur
1. Kevin has a mass of 87kg and is skating with in-line skates. He sees his 22-kg younger brother up ahead standing on the sidewalk, with his back turned. Coming up from behind, he grabs his brother and rolls off at a speed of 3.4 m/s. Ignoring friction, find Kevin's speed just before he grabbed his brother.

2. VF(ma+mb)=MTVF

3. From the problem I know it is an inelastic collision..
I did v= 87*v+22*2.4/109
v=2.4 which is wrong. the answer is suppose to be 3.0

Please help.. I really don't think I've grasped the idea of collisions

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation in the second part. I will rewrite it for you.

[tex] Mv=(M+m)v_f[/tex]

All you have to do is rearrange and find v.

The answer should also be greater than 3. How can he gain speed if he picks up his little brother as well.

in one dimension.

I can provide some clarification and guidance on the concept of collisions in one dimension. First, it is important to understand that there are two types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some of it is lost in the form of heat or sound.

In this problem, we are dealing with an inelastic collision since the two objects, Kevin and his brother, stick together after the collision. In this type of collision, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is represented by the equation given in the problem, where V is velocity, M is mass, and T is time.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum equation: MV=MTV. We know the masses of both Kevin and his brother, as well as the final velocity after the collision (3.4 m/s). However, we are trying to find the initial velocity of Kevin before the collision. We can rearrange the equation to solve for V: V=MTV/M. Plugging in the values, we get V=(87*3.4+22*0)/109=2.7 m/s. This is the correct answer, and I believe the mistake in the previous calculation was due to using the wrong values for the masses.

In summary, it is important to understand the type of collision you are dealing with and to use the correct equations and values to solve the problem. I hope this explanation helps in your understanding of collisions in one dimension.

1. What is a collision in one dimension?

A collision in one dimension is an event in which two objects or particles interact with each other and exchange energy and/or momentum along a single straight line. This is often referred to as a one-dimensional collision because the objects are moving along a single axis.

2. What are the types of collisions in one dimension?

There are two types of collisions in one dimension: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost, typically in the form of heat or sound.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision in one dimension?

In a collision in one dimension, momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This can be expressed mathematically as m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of objects after a collision in one dimension?

The velocity of objects after a collision in one dimension can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy. The equations for this are m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f and m1v1i2 + m2v2i2 = m1v1f2 + m2v2f2.

5. What are some real-world applications of collisions in one dimension?

Collisions in one dimension have many real-world applications, such as in car accidents, billiard games, and sports like football and hockey. They are also used in particle physics to study the behavior of subatomic particles. Understanding collisions in one dimension is important for engineers and scientists in designing and analyzing various systems and processes.