How Does Momentum Change in a Two-Dimensional Collision?

• Thread starter Donnie_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary: Basically, you need to break up the initial momentum and the final momentum into x and y components, and then use conservation of momentum to solve for the final momentum. In summary, to find the momentum of Ball A after the collision, you must break up the initial and final momentum into x and y components and use conservation of momentum to solve for the final momentum. Trigonometry can be used to determine the components of momentum.
Donnie_b
A 5.00 kg Ball A moving at 12.0 m/s collides with a stationary 4.00 kg Ball B. After
the collision, Ball A moves off at an angle of 38.0º right of its original direction. Ball B 52.0º left of Ball A's original direction. After the collision, what is the momentum
of Ball A?

P1 + P2 = P1' + P2'
60 + 0 = P1' + P2'

After this I have no idea where to go. We would need a velocity however there isn't one given.

I'm assuming a vector diagram would be useful, but I am not too sure what that would look like.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must break up the momentum into the x and y components, and sum up in each direction. Draw a diagram to keep track of everything.

hage567 said:
You must break up the momentum into the x and y components, and sum up in each direction. Draw a diagram to keep track of everything.

I don't have the hypotenuse to be able to do that. The only thing I could think of would be x =(60-y) and y=(60-x)

Ok so I also asked this question on Yahoo answers, and some person gave me this:

60=P’[sin(38) + cos(38)]
60= P’[1.25144222]
P'=60 / 1.25144222
P'=47.9446826 =
P'= 48 kgm/s

Now I have never seen anything alike this taught to me. Does this have any truth to it?

I was also given this which seems more... legit

PX(x) = 5kg*12 m/s = 60
PX(y) = 5kg*0 m/s = 0
PY(x) = 4kg * 0 m/s = 0
PY(y) = 4kg * 0 m/s = 0

PX'(x) = cos(38)*PX'
PX'(y) = sin(38)*PX'
PY'(x) = cos(52)*PY'
PY'(y) = sin(52)*PY'

Then use conservation of momentum in each direction
60 = PX(x) + PY(x) = PX'(x) + PY'(x)
0 = PX(y) + PY(y) = PX'(y) + PY'(y)

from this we see
PX'(y) = - PY'(y)
and
PX'(x) = 60 - PY'(x)

then plug in the sine formulas for each component.
you now have two equations with two variables.
solve one for PY' and plug into the other to solve for PX'

Donnie_b said:
I don't have the hypotenuse to be able to do that. The only thing I could think of would be x =(60-y) and y=(60-x)

You don't need the hypotenuse to break into components. You have the angle given after the impact, use trigonometry.

[EDIT]

The first response is completely off. The second one seems right to me as well.

1. What are collisions on 2 dimensions?

Collisions on 2 dimensions refer to any interaction between two objects in a two-dimensional space. This can include objects colliding with each other, with a boundary, or with a surface.

2. How do collisions on 2 dimensions differ from collisions on 3 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, objects can only move in two directions (left/right and up/down), whereas in 3 dimensions, objects can also move in a third direction (forward/backward). This means that collisions in 2 dimensions are simpler and can be described using only two-dimensional vectors.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision on 2 dimensions?

The outcome of a collision on 2 dimensions can be affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the colliding objects, as well as any external forces acting on them.

4. How is momentum conserved in collisions on 2 dimensions?

Momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity, is conserved in collisions on 2 dimensions. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant, regardless of any changes in the individual momenta of the objects involved.

5. Are there any real-world applications of collisions on 2 dimensions?

Collisions on 2 dimensions are relevant in many real-world scenarios, such as in sports (e.g. billiards), traffic accidents, and particle physics experiments. Understanding the mechanics of collisions on 2 dimensions can also help engineers design safer and more efficient structures and vehicles.