Combined Loads (forces and moments) on composite lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding the factor of safety (FOS) for a laminate subject to 3 forces and 3 moments. The homework statement lists the various forces and moments and asks for the FOS using different methods. These methods include the maximum stress criterion, Energy Based Interaction Theory - Tsai-Hill Criterion, and Interactive Tensor Polynomial Theory - Tsai-Wu Criterion. The person admits to being stuck at the first hurdle and is unsure how to treat all the loads and materials properties at once. They are also asked to design an interactive spreadsheet for 8 plies. The person suggests using the stiffness/compliance matrix method to calculate the stresses, but is uncertain how to incorporate moments into the calculations.
spggodd

Homework Statement

I have a laminate subject to 3 forces and 3 moments:
  • Nx = normal force resultant in the x direction (N/m)
  • Ny = normal force resultant in the y direction (N/m)
  • Nxy = shear force resultant (N/m)
  • Mx = Bending moment resultant in the x direction (Nm/m)
  • My = Bending moment resultant in the y direction (Nm/m)
  • Mxy = Turning moment resultant (Nm/m)
The questions are below and ask me to find the FOS using various methods.
  1. Factor of safety of each ply and the whole laminate based on maximum stress criterion
  2. Factor of safety of each ply and the whole laminate based on Energy Based Interaction Theory – Tsai-Hill Criterion
  3. Factor of safety of each ply and the whole laminate based on Interactive Tensor Polynomial Theory - Tsai-Wu Criterion
I feel I am stuck at the first hurdle as I can't figure out how to treat all the loads at once, all loads/materials properties etc are variables and I have been asked to design an interactive spreadsheet for 8 plies.

Homework Equations

Compliance/Stiffness matrix methods.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am supposed to use the stiffness/compliance matrix method to work out the stresses in the global co-ordinates. However I have done this for 3 forces but I'm not sure how to combine this with moments?

Do I have to extend the matrices from 3x3 to include the moments somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is a composite lamina?

A composite lamina is a layer of material made up of two or more constituent materials, such as fibers and a matrix, that are bonded together to form a single layer.

2. What are combined loads on composite lamina?

Combined loads on composite lamina refer to the simultaneous application of both forces and moments on the material. This can include tensile or compressive forces, as well as shear and bending moments.

3. How do combined loads affect composite lamina?

The effects of combined loads on composite lamina depend on the material properties and orientation of the layers. Generally, the different layers will experience varying levels of stress and strain, which can impact the overall strength and stiffness of the lamina.

4. What is the significance of studying combined loads on composite lamina?

Studying combined loads on composite lamina is important for understanding the behavior and performance of composite materials. This knowledge can be applied in various industries, such as aerospace and automotive, to design and optimize structures that can withstand different types of loading conditions.

5. How are combined loads on composite lamina analyzed?

Combined loads on composite lamina are typically analyzed using mathematical models and computer simulations. These tools can predict the behavior of the material under different loading scenarios and help engineers design stronger and more efficient structures.