How Do Current Sources and Resistors Interact in a Circuit?

In summary, the given circuit has multiple current sources and resistors in parallel. The values of the sources and resistors can be combined to get an equivalent source. However, the proof of this fact is still unclear, especially when considering the effect of the 36A source on the 20 ohms resistor. In order to understand the current flow in the circuit, it is helpful to think about it in terms of cars on a road, where the path of least resistance is preferred. The upper horizontal line can be seen as a single node, and applying KCL helps determine the current flowing through the resistors. The 12A source can also be referred to as a current sink.
SmallDot

Homework Statement

Combining the current sources of the given circuit. I've attached the circuit diagram below.
circuit 1.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since the sources are in parallel I can just add up the values to get an equivalent source and same for the resistors. I'm curious in the proof of this fact. With two current sources and one resistor, I can see how the sources can be combined. But for cases like this, how does the 36A affect the 20 ohms resistor? How do the currents circulate in the circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
SmallDot said:

Homework Statement

Combining the current sources of the given circuit. I've attached the circuit diagram below.
View attachment 102827

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since the sources are in parallel I can just add up the values to get an equivalent source and same for the resistors. I'm curious in the proof of this fact. With two current sources and one resistor, I can see how the sources can be combined. But for cases like this, how does the 36A affect the 20 ohms resistor? How do the currents circulate in the circuit?
Current will want to flow across the path of less resistance. So a resistor with high resistance will have less current going through it, while there is more current flow across a resistor with less resistance. The only time current will not flow through a resistor is if there is a shorted wire in parallel with the circuit.
Imagine driving on a 3-lane road. The first lane on the left side is congested, the middle lane has 1-2 cars moving quickly, and the rightmost side is closed due to construction..The movement of the cars can be analogous to current flow in a circuit, and of course, we'd want to take the lane that is moving and isn't congested..
The 20Ω and 5Ω will have the same voltage drop across them because they're connected in parallel. Each current sources will have current flowing across both resistors until their voltages are same.
Formula to keep in mind: V=I*R
Hope this somewhat helps :-p

Last edited:
SmallDot said:
But for cases like this, how does the 36A affect the 20 ohms resistor? How do the currents circulate in the circuit?
The upper horizontal line is one single node, so to make the arrangement clearer you could redraw the schematic showing that node as a single point, with 5 wires going to it. Likewise for the lower horizontal line.

Current doesn't accumulate at a node; KCL says that at any node, current in = current out.

The 6A source pumps 6A into the upper node, the 36A source pumps a further 36A in, while the 12A source pumps 12A out of that upper node. Applying KCL to the upper node tells you how much current must, therefore, be leaving that node via other paths, i.e., through the resistors.

you could just as correctly call it a 12A current sink

1. What is the purpose of combining current sources?

The purpose of combining current sources is to increase the overall current output, as well as to improve the stability and reliability of the circuit. This is particularly useful in applications where high currents are required, such as in power supplies or motor control circuits.

2. How do you combine current sources?

There are several ways to combine current sources, depending on the specific application and desired outcome. Some common methods include parallel connection, series connection, and using an operational amplifier (op-amp) to sum the currents. It is important to consider the individual characteristics of each current source when combining them, such as their output impedance and voltage drop.

3. Can different types of current sources be combined?

Yes, different types of current sources can be combined as long as their output voltages and currents are compatible. For example, a constant current source can be combined with a variable current source, as long as the variable current source does not exceed the output capabilities of the constant current source.

4. What are the potential challenges when combining current sources?

Some potential challenges when combining current sources include differences in output impedance, voltage drop, and temperature coefficients. These can affect the overall performance and stability of the combined current source, so it is important to carefully consider and address these issues during the design process.

5. Are there any advantages to using a combined current source over a single current source?

Yes, there are several advantages to using a combined current source. By combining multiple sources, the overall current output can be increased, providing more power to the circuit. Additionally, combining current sources can improve the stability and reliability of the circuit, as any fluctuations or failures in one source can be compensated for by the others. This can be especially beneficial in critical applications where a steady and reliable current output is crucial.