Combustion Reactions: C5H12 + O2 - Steps & Oxidation States

In summary, pentane is composed of a chain of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms attached to fill in the empty valence spots in the outer electron shell. These are covalent, not ionic, bonds. The combustion of pentane results in the production of two substances - carbon dioxide and water. The carbon dioxide has an oxidation number of +4, while the water has an oxidation number of 0.
vanceEE
$$C_{5}H_{12} + O_{2} → ... $$

What would be the product? Please show in steps how you're getting your answer, and what oxidation state you're using for C, I don't understand why Carbon and Hydrogen are bonded in this ratio, please explain. Also, please provide any advice/strategies on figuring out my product from using oxidation states e.g. in Combustion Reactions.

Physics news on Phys.org
C5H12 is pentane, a hydrocarbon, specifically an alkane. You know, similar to the stuff that gasoline and diesel fuel are composed of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentane

I've given you a hint: per the forum rules, you've got to do more work than this to get further help.

SteamKing said:
I've given you a hint: per the forum rules, you've got to do more work than this to get further help.

I do not need help on the specific equation, simply combustion equations in general. Please solve a similar combustion equation in steps so that I can see how they are done. I just don't understand why Hydrogen and Carbon are in the ratio they are in and the oxidation state of Carbon in such an equation, because of the ratios I am encountering, I am struggling to derive the oxidation state to form the product. I do not believe that there is anything in the forum rules that prevents you from explaining a concept of ratio and bonds.

Frankly, I don't understand your confusion. Carbon doesn't have a multiplicity of valence states, like a transition metal. Pentane and similar hydrocarbons are composed of a chain of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms attached to fill in the empty valence spots in the outer electron shell. These are covalent, not ionic, bonds.

Pentane structure:

CH3 - CH2 - CH2 - CH2 - CH3 (all carbon atoms have 4 electrons in the outer shell)

If you will read the attached article on pentane, you will find information about the combustion of this substance.

As someone who has posted at PF before, you are aware of the rules. We are not allowed to show you step by step solutions to problems, especially if you show no work attempt at providing you own solution.

I don't know why you are hung up on these mysterious 'ratios', but, in general, combustion of hydrocarbons results in two very common substances. These substances flow in and out of your body with every breath.

SteamKing said:
I don't know why you are hung up on these mysterious 'ratios', but, in general, combustion of hydrocarbons results in two very common substances. These substances flow in and out of your body with every breath.
SteamKing said:
Carbon doesn't have a multiplicity of valence states.
Carbon can have an oxidation state of -2,+2, or +4.

Last edited:
$$ C_{5}H_{12} + O_{2} → $$
$$ C_{5}^{5x+}H_{12}^{12-} + O_{2}^{4-} $$
$$ C_{5}^{5x+}H_{12}^{12-} + O^{2-} O^{2-}$$
$$ C_{5}^{5x+}O^{2-} + H_{12}^{12-} O^{2-}$$

Can someone please explain how the H2O forms here. This is a known reaction, I am not seeking a solution to the problem. I simply want to know how this happens; my oxygens and hydrogens have negative charges. Can someone please explain this concept and point out my error? I'm assuming that I'm dealing with a Carbon that has an oxidation state of +4, simply because it will be the only state that will form the CO2 in this case, but is there a way that I can figure out this element's charge without this assumption? Thank you.

Last edited:
Oxygen in O2 has oxidation number of 0, not -2. If it were -2, oxygen molecule would have a -4 charge, it doesn't.

Applying oxidation numbers won't get you far - that's not how things happen. Oxidation numbers are just an artificial accounting device, they don't exist in reality.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a combustion reaction?

A combustion reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which a substance reacts rapidly with oxygen to produce heat and light. This process is also known as burning.

2. What is the equation for the combustion reaction of C5H12 and O2?

The equation for the combustion reaction of C5H12 and O2 is: C5H12 + 8O2 → 5CO2 + 6H2O.

3. What are the steps involved in a combustion reaction?

The steps involved in a combustion reaction are: initiation, propagation, and termination. In the initiation step, energy is provided to break the bonds between the reactant molecules. In the propagation step, the reactant molecules combine with oxygen to form products, releasing energy. In the termination step, the reaction stops and the final products are formed.

4. What are the oxidation states of C5H12 and O2 in a combustion reaction?

The oxidation state of C5H12 is 0 because it is a hydrocarbon and does not contain any atoms with a higher electronegativity. The oxidation state of O2 is 0 as well because it is a diatomic molecule and each oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -2, canceling each other out.

5. What are some examples of combustion reactions?

Some examples of combustion reactions include burning wood in a fire, the reaction between gasoline and oxygen in a car engine, and the process of respiration in living organisms.