Comparing Numbers Using a Special Function

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, using the function f(x)=x^(1/x), where x>0, it can be determined that e^pi is greater than pi^e. This is found by raising both sides of the inequality f(e)>f(pi) to the power of epi.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Use the function ##f(x)=x^{1/x} \, ,\, x>0##, to determine the bigger of two numbers ##e^{\pi}## and ##\pi^e##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to begin with this problem. I found the derivative but that seems to be of no help. The function increases when x>1/e and decreases when 0<x<1/e.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: a<b is equivalent to a^c < b^c for positive a,b,c. Can you find a c such that your expressions look like x^(1/x)?

Pranav-Arora said:
. The function increases when x>1/e and decreases when 0<x<1/e.
Doesn't sound right. What do you get for x = 1, 2, 4, 16?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Doesn't sound right. What do you get for x = 1, 2, 4, 16?

Oops, its just the opposite of what I posted.

I have tried the problem again.
##f(e)>f(\pi) \Rightarrow e^{1/e}>\pi^{1/\pi}##
Raising both the sides to the power ##e\pi##
$$e^{\pi}>\pi^e$$

Looks correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
Oops, its just the opposite of what I posted.

I have tried the problem again.
##f(e)>f(\pi) \Rightarrow e^{1/e}>\pi^{1/\pi}##
Raising both the sides to the power ##e\pi##
$$e^{\pi}>\pi^e$$

Looks correct?

Looks correct.

Dick said:
Looks correct.

Thank you Dick and haruspex! :smile:

1. How do you determine which number is bigger?

The bigger number is usually the one with a higher numerical value. This can be determined by looking at the digits in each number and comparing them from left to right. The number with the higher digit in the leftmost place is considered the bigger number.

2. What do you do if the numbers have the same numerical value?

If the numbers have the same numerical value, then they are considered equal and neither is bigger than the other.

3. Can decimal numbers be compared to whole numbers?

Yes, decimal numbers can be compared to whole numbers. The same rules apply - the number with the higher digit in the leftmost place is considered the bigger number. If the digits in the leftmost place are the same, then the numbers are compared from left to right until a difference is found.

4. How do negative numbers factor into determining the bigger number?

Negative numbers can be compared to each other or to positive numbers. When comparing negative numbers, the number with the lower absolute value (ignoring the negative sign) is considered the bigger number. For example, -5 is bigger than -10 because it has a lower absolute value. When comparing negative numbers to positive numbers, the negative number is always considered smaller.

5. Is there a limit to how many digits a number can have when determining the bigger number?

No, there is no limit to the number of digits a number can have when determining the bigger number. The same rules apply regardless of the number of digits. The number with the higher digit in the leftmost place is considered the bigger number.