Are My Calculations Correct for this Complex Circuit?

In summary, Kirchhoff's laws were crosschecked and it appeared that R6(20ohms) and R7(10ohms) had a total voltage drop of 30V, which is why R5(15ohms) must also have a voltage drop of 30V.
pstir2

Homework Statement

circuit.jpg

Solve for all voltage drops and currents at the resistors and battery

Homework Equations

V=IR
RT=R1+R2+...+Rn
1/RT=1/R1+1/R2+...+1/Rn
IT=I1+I2+...+In

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to check if my solution is correct

------Voltage----Current----Resistance
R1-----150--------3.75---------40
R2-----150--------3.75---------40
R3-----45---------0.75---------60
R4-----15-----------3------------5
R5-----30-----------2-----------15
R6-----20-----------1-----------20
R7-----10-----------1-----------10
Total---345--------3.75---------92

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This would be easier if the resistor numbers and current directions would be marked in the diagram...

You can simply check Kirchhoff's laws for every node and loop as cross-check.

Is there something about V that you seem to know and we don't ?
So far I can only stamp an approval stamp on R6 and R7 (they happen to be the only ones with 10 and 20 Ohm).

Because the voltage drop though resistors R6(20ohms) and R7(10ohms) causes a total voltage drop of 30V any parallel circuits to it will also have a voltage drop of 30 V. therefore R5(15ohms) must have a voltage drop of 30V.

BvU said:
Is there something about V that you seem to know and we don't ?
So far I can only stamp an approval stamp on R6 and R7 (they happen to be the only ones with 10 and 20 Ohm).

Because the voltage drop though resistors R6(20ohms) and R7(10ohms) causes a total voltage drop of 30V any parallel circuits to it will also have a voltage drop of 30 V. therefore R5(15ohms) must have a voltage drop of 30V.

The voltage drops of 30 V on the right side are fine, but the voltage of the voltage source is unclear.

The total is what I calculated the voltage source to be but I'm not sure its correct.

Which total?
You cannot solve this problem if you don't know the voltage drop at the voltage source.

mfb said:
The voltage drops of 30 V on the right side are fine, but the voltage of the voltage source is unclear.
It appears the ammeter is displaying a reading of 1.0A, meaning there is sufficient information to determine V.

My mistake. I saw a current source instead of an ammeter. :redface:

BvU said:
My mistake. I saw a current source instead of an ammeter. :redface:
Same here.
Okay, then it is fine.

So herewith a stamp of approval goes to post #1. And now I run the risk of being chastized by the spirits that float over and guard PF: the forum isn't really intended for that kind of thing at all. With good reasons.
Still, it was nice to look into this exercise...

Likes 1 person

1. What is a complex circuit?

A complex circuit is an electrical circuit that contains multiple components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected in a series or parallel arrangement. These circuits can be more difficult to analyze compared to simple circuits as they often involve more calculations and consideration of different factors.

2. How do I simplify a complex circuit?

To simplify a complex circuit, you can use techniques such as parallel and series circuit rules, Kirchhoff's laws, and Thevenin's theorem. These methods allow you to break down a complex circuit into smaller, more manageable parts and analyze them individually.

3. What are the advantages of using complex circuits?

Complex circuits offer a wide range of advantages, including increased functionality, improved efficiency, and higher precision. They are also useful in applications where multiple components need to work together to achieve a specific task.

4. What are some common challenges when working with complex circuits?

Some common challenges when working with complex circuits include difficulties in circuit analysis, increased manufacturing costs, and potential for errors. These circuits also require a good understanding of circuit theory and components to design and troubleshoot effectively.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex circuits?

To improve your understanding of complex circuits, it is essential to have a strong foundation in basic circuit theory and mathematics. You can also practice analyzing different types of circuits and solving problems using various techniques. Additionally, staying updated on new technologies and advancements in circuit design can also help improve your understanding of complex circuits.