Complex Fourier Series of f(x)=x from -pi to pi | Extra Credit Assignment

In summary, the complex Fourier series of f(x)=x from -pi to pi can be calculated by using the formula C_n = 1/2pi int(f(x)*e^-inx)dx, where n is the frequency. To find the definite integral from -pi to pi, one can use Euler's formula and simplify the expression further. Alternatively, one can use Euler's formula before integrating to achieve the same result with less effort.
amk5922
What is the complex Fourier series of f(x)=x from -pi to pi?

I'm in a complex variables class and we have an extra credit assignment to figure out the complex Fourier series of f(x)=x from -pi to pi. We only vaguely covered the topic in class and our book is not very good so I'm not entirely sure what to do. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the formula for computing the Fourier coefficients?

C_n = 1/2pi int(f(x)*e^-inx)dx

OK, so you have to calculate

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} x e^{-inx} dx[/tex]

What have you tried so far?

I think I have the correct integration..I have 1/2pi[((x*e^-inx)/-in)+(1/in*1/-in)*e^-inx].
Sorry I'm new and don't know how to properly insert formulas yet!

Yes, that looks right for the indefinite integral. What's the definite integral from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

I have 1/2pi[((pi*e^-in*pi)/-in)+(1/n^2)(e^-inx)] - [((-pi*e^in*pi)/-in)+(1/n^2)*e^in*pi]
which would then simplify down to (I think)

1/2pi[(pi/-in)+(1/n^2)(-1^n)]-[(pi/in)+(1/n^2)(1^n)]

And then I'm stuck, I'm not sure what it simplifies down to from here

You can simplify quite a bit. Do you know Euler's formula:

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x)[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix} + e^{-ix}) = \cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2i}(e^{ix} - e^{-ix}) = \sin(x)[/tex]

You can make heavy use of these identities here.

By the way, there's a short cut which involves using Euler's formula before you integrate. You will get the same answer, but with less effort.

Related to Complex Fourier Series of f(x)=x from -pi to pi | Extra Credit Assignment

1. What is a complex Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with complex coefficients. It is used to analyze and represent the behavior of signals and functions in the frequency domain.

2. How is a complex Fourier series different from a real Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series allows for the representation of complex signals and functions, whereas a real Fourier series can only represent real-valued signals and functions. Additionally, a complex Fourier series includes both positive and negative frequency components, while a real Fourier series only includes positive frequencies.

3. What is the relationship between a complex Fourier series and the Fourier transform?

The complex Fourier series is a discrete version of the continuous Fourier transform. As the number of terms in the series approaches infinity, the complex Fourier series approaches the continuous Fourier transform. The coefficients in the complex Fourier series are also closely related to the magnitude and phase of the Fourier transform.

4. How is a complex Fourier series used in signal processing?

A complex Fourier series is used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It allows for the removal of unwanted frequencies and the synthesis of signals from their frequency components. It is also used in filtering, compression, and noise reduction techniques.

5. What are the applications of complex Fourier series in other fields?

Complex Fourier series have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used for analyzing and modeling physical phenomena, designing electrical circuits and filters, and solving differential equations. They also have applications in image and sound processing, data compression, and cryptography.