Solving Complex Inequalities with Absolute Value Signs

In summary, if ##|k|>1##, then the second inequality is fulfilled, while the first one is impossible for any value of k.
Nikitin
[solved]Complex inequality

Homework Statement

You have the two inequalities, where k is a complex number;
[tex] |k+\sqrt{k^2-1}|<1[/tex]
and
[tex] |k-\sqrt{k^2-1}| <1[/tex]

Show that if ##|k|>1##, then the second inequality is fulfilled, while the first one is impossible for any value of k.

The Attempt at a Solution

Those absolute-value signs freak me out.. Can somebody show me what to do? I'm sure this should be really easy but my brain is totally burnt out right now

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two observations:

|x| < 1 can also be written as -1 < x < 1.

|k| > 1 implies k² > 1 (because k² = (-k)²).

The former should help you to rewrite the problem without absolute value signs.

[EDIT] I just noticed you mentioned k is complex, which means they are not absolute value signs but modulus signs (i.e. if ##k = r e^{i \phi}## then ##|k| = r##. That probably makes my hints above useless, let me think about it some more.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I'm not sure I believe this. The square root of a complex number in not uniquely defined. Unlike real numbers, there is no way to choose "the positive one".

So, if you take k = -2i, you get k^2-1 = -5. Then:

[itex]k \pm \sqrt{k^2 - 1} = -2i \pm \sqrt{5}i[/itex]

Which has modulus > or < 1 depending on which root you take.

Likes 1 person
oh crap I'm so sorry, I mixed it up. k is non-complex! I needed help with that inequality as it came up when I was solving a real integral by method of residues, but after I transformed the integral into a complex one, I forgot that k was real (it was a constant in an ordinary integral: ##\int_0^\pi \frac{2 d \theta}{k-\cos( \theta)}##).

Sorry! I didn't mean wasting anybody's time. I think I should be able to solve it now after this insight... Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
Sorry! I didn't mean wasting anybody's time. I think I should be able to solve it now after this insight... Thanks for the help

You didn't. If we had a life we wouldn't be on this forum :-)

(At least speaking for myself, don't mean to offend anyone).

1. What is the purpose of using absolute value signs when solving complex inequalities?

The absolute value sign is used to represent the distance of a number from 0 on the number line. When solving complex inequalities, the absolute value sign allows us to consider both positive and negative solutions, making the solution set more accurate.

2. How do you solve complex inequalities with absolute value signs?

To solve complex inequalities with absolute value signs, you must first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you must consider two cases: when the expression inside the absolute value sign is positive and when it is negative. Finally, solve for the variable in each case and combine the solutions to find the complete solution set.

3. Can complex inequalities with absolute value signs have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex inequalities with absolute value signs can have multiple solutions. This is because the absolute value sign allows for both positive and negative solutions, and there may be more than one value that satisfies the inequality.

4. Are there any special rules for solving complex inequalities with absolute value signs?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving complex inequalities with absolute value signs. First, when isolating the absolute value expression, be sure to keep the inequality symbol in the same direction. Secondly, when considering the two cases, remember to flip the inequality symbol if the expression inside the absolute value sign is negative. Finally, when combining the solutions, use the union symbol (∪) to indicate that there are multiple solutions.

5. How can solving complex inequalities with absolute value signs be applied in real-world situations?

Solving complex inequalities with absolute value signs can be applied in real-world situations such as finding the acceptable range of values for a measurement, determining the number of solutions to a problem, or analyzing data with both positive and negative values. It is a useful tool in various fields such as science, economics, and engineering.