1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex inequality

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    [solved]Complex inequality

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have the two inequalities, where k is a complex number;
    [tex] |k+\sqrt{k^2-1}|<1[/tex]
    and
    [tex] |k-\sqrt{k^2-1}| <1[/tex]

Show that if ##|k|>1##, then the second inequality is fulfilled, while the first one is impossible for any value of k.

3. The attempt at a solution

Those absolute-value signs freak me out.. Can somebody show me what to do? I'm sure this should be really easy but my brain is totally burnt out right now

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two observations:

|x| < 1 can also be written as -1 < x < 1.

|k| > 1 implies k² > 1 (because k² = (-k)²).

The former should help you to rewrite the problem without absolute value signs.

[EDIT] I just noticed you mentioned k is complex, which means they are not absolute value signs but modulus signs (i.e. if ##k = r e^{i \phi}## then ##|k| = r##. That probably makes my hints above useless, lemme think about it some more.

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I believe this. The square root of a complex number in not uniquely defined. Unlike real numbers, there is no way to choose "the positive one".

So, if you take k = -2i, you get k^2-1 = -5. Then:

[itex]k \pm \sqrt{k^2 - 1} = -2i \pm \sqrt{5}i[/itex]

Which has modulus > or < 1 depending on which root you take.

5. Nov 13, 2013 #4
    oh crap I'm so sorry, I mixed it up. k is non-complex!! I needed help with that inequality as it came up when I was solving a real integral by method of residues, but after I transformed the integral into a complex one, I forgot that k was real (it was a constant in an ordinary integral: ##\int_0^\pi \frac{2 d \theta}{k-\cos( \theta)}##).

Sorry! I didn't mean wasting anybody's time. I think I should be able to solve it now after this insight.... Thanks for the help

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't. If we had a life we wouldn't be on this forum :-)

(At least speaking for myself, don't mean to offend anyone).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted