1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integration

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Without using Cauchy's Integral Formula or Residuals, I am trying to integrate

[tex]\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Around a circle of radius 2 centered at the origin oriented counterclockwise.

[tex]\frac{i}{2}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{z+i}dz-\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{z-i}dz\right][/tex]

[tex]\gamma(t)=2e^{it}, \quad \gamma'(t)=2ie^{it}[/tex]

The answer is zero. I am supposed to get each integral to be [itex]2\pi i[/itex] which is 0 when subtracted.

I know it is related to the fact that [itex]\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = 2\pi i[/itex].

And using u-sub isn't correct since any closed path would be zero when that isnt true. The integral of 1/z shows that not all closed paths will be zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Try using the identity:

[tex]\int \frac {du}{a^2 + u^2} = \frac{1}{a}arctan\frac{u}{a} +c[/tex]

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    That is nice and a lot easier than the route I was taking. Without the substitution of the integral, would it sill have the bounds of 0 and 2pi though? I know it is over gamma but the bounds were for 2e^{it}.

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4
    The circle starts and ends at the same point. Your bounds are actually from 2 to 2. The integral identity applied to your problem requires bounds in z, not in terms of its parametrization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook