Complex Integration Homework - Part (a) and (b) Help

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem that involves using the Cauchy integral formula. The problem has two parts and the person has already completed part (a) using the formula. They are now asking for help with part (b), which mentions using the result from part (a) and involves a substitution and using deMoivre's theorem. Another person provides an alternative, elementary approach for part (b) and the conversation ends with the solution being the integral evaluated from 0 to pi, resulting in pi.
stripes

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=68696&stc=1&d=1397618882.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part (a) which is pretty easy. Use the Cauchy integral formula. Part (b) says "hence", which leads me to believe that part (a) can be used for part (b), but I cannot see anything remotely related between the two. I don't want to do weird manipulations and substitutions if part (a) can help.

If someone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
stripes said:

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=68696&stc=1&d=1397618882.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part (a) which is pretty easy. Use the Cauchy integral formula. Part (b) says "hence", which leads me to believe that part (a) can be used for part (b), but I cannot see anything remotely related between the two. I don't want to do weird manipulations and substitutions if part (a) can help.

If someone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Just substitute ##e^{i \theta}## for ##z## in the integral and turn it into an integral ##d\theta##. Then use deMoivre.

Thanks Dick! Easy as pie now

Here is an elementary approach for part b) if you like:

Notice that the integral you seek is
$$\begin{aligned}
\Re\left(\int_0^{\pi} e^{k\cos t}e^{ik\sin t}\,dt\right) &= \Re\left(\int_0^{\pi}e^{ke^{it}}\,dt\right)\\
&=\Re\left(\int_0^{\pi} \left(1+ke^{it}+k^2e^{2it}+\cdots \right)\,dt\right)\\
&=\boxed{\pi}\\
\end{aligned}$$

Related to Complex Integration Homework - Part (a) and (b) Help

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals involving complex-valued functions. It involves finding the integral of a complex function over a specific path or region in the complex plane.

2. What is the purpose of complex integration?

The purpose of complex integration is to solve integrals that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. It allows for the evaluation of integrals involving complex functions, which are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the key concepts involved in complex integration?

The key concepts involved in complex integration include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and residues. These concepts are used to evaluate complex integrals and solve problems in various fields.

4. How is complex integration different from real integration?

Complex integration differs from real integration in that it involves integrating over complex numbers instead of real numbers. It also involves considering the complex plane and using concepts such as Cauchy's theorem and residues, which are not applicable in real integration.

5. What is the significance of complex integration in science?

Complex integration is significant in science because it allows for the evaluation of integrals involving complex functions, which are commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also provides a powerful tool for solving problems that cannot be solved using traditional methods.