Complex Number's Assignment (From my signals class)

Note that e^{j \pi /4} is just one of the two square roots. To get the other, you can add 2 \pi to it. So the other square root is e^{j \pi /4 + 2 \pi} = e^{j \pi /4 + 8 \pi /4} = e^{j 9\pi /4} = e^{j 2 \pi + j \pi /4} = e^{j \pi /4} = \sqrt{j} again. So the two square roots are e^{j \pi /4} and e^{j 9 \pi /4} = e^{j
Naeem
Q1. If j = square root of - 1 what is square root of j ?

what I did was : Plug in the value of j in square root of j and came up with -1 to the power of 0.25.

Is this right. Looks like this wrong.

Q2. Given a complex number w = x + jy, the complex congugate of w is defined in rectangular coordinates as w* = x-jy. Use this fact to derive complex congugation in polar form.

What I did was : multiply both w * w* and came up with x ^ 2 + y ^2

and I know euler's formula e ^(jtheta) = cos (theta) + i sin (theta)

Is this right, probably not, can someone guide me here as well.

Q3. By hand sketch the following against independent variable t:

(a) x2(t) = I am (3 - e(1-j2pi)t)

There is another two also in these parts, One with the real part given and another one with x3(t) = 3 - Im(e(1-j2pi)t)

How do I do these problems ? Please anyone help me. The book is worthless. It just talks about basics on complex numbers, congugates , polar forms etc.

But this HW has been a pain believe me...:cry:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
Q1. If j = square root of - 1 what is square root of j ?what I did was : Plug in the value of j in square root of j and came up with -1 to the power of 0.25.

Is this right. Looks like this wrong.

i think your prof wants to know what the real part and imaginary part of [itex]\sqrt{j}[/itex] is. (maybe magnitude and angle, but that would be too easy.) remember, the square root of anything has two solutions.
Q2. Given a complex number w = x + jy, the complex congugate of w is defined in rectangular coordinates as w* = x-jy. Use this fact to derive complex congugation in polar form.What I did was : multiply both w * w* and came up with x ^ 2 + y ^2

and I know euler's formula e ^(jtheta) = cos (theta) + i sin (theta)

Is this right, probably not, can someone guide me here as well.

you are being asked to express [itex]w[/itex] in polar form and [itex]w^*[/itex] in terms of [itex]w[/itex] in polar form. i think that is the case.

Q3. By hand sketch the following against independent variable t:

(a) x2(t) = I am (3 - e(1-j2pi)t)There is another two also in these parts, One with the real part given and another one with x3(t) = 3 - Im(e(1-j2pi)t)

How do I do these problems ? Please anyone help me. The book is worthless. It just talks about basics on complex numbers, congugates , polar forms etc.

But this HW has been a pain believe me...:cry:

what do you know about the exponential? what happens when the exponent is the sum of two terms? what do you do with it?

try using [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] to express your math here on this forum. we ain't USENET here where you need to rely on "ASCII math".

Last edited:
\[ \sum_{k=1}^n k^2 = \frac{1}{2} n (n+1).\]

For Q2: Say your given [itex]w = x + jy[/itex]. Arbitrarily draw this on the x-y plane. Now draw [itex]w^*[/itex]. Express w in polar form. What do you notice about w* in polar form?

For Q1: One way to solve this is express j in polar form. You can get this from Euler's identiy and see that [itex]e^{j \pi /2} = \cos (\pi/2)+ j \sin (\pi/2) = j[/itex]. Then you have

[tex]\sqrt{j} = \sqrt{e^{j \pi /2}}[/tex]

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in signal processing?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are important in signal processing because they allow us to represent and manipulate signals that have both amplitude (real value) and phase (imaginary value) components.

2. How are complex numbers represented and operated on in signal processing?

Complex numbers are typically represented using the rectangular form, where the real and imaginary parts are denoted by a and b, respectively, as a + bi. They are operated on using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What is the difference between a complex signal and a real signal?

A complex signal has both real and imaginary components, while a real signal only has a real component. This means that a complex signal can represent more complex or dynamic signals, while a real signal can only represent simple signals.

4. How are complex numbers used in analyzing and processing signals?

Complex numbers are used in analyzing and processing signals through techniques such as Fourier transform, where the complex signal is decomposed into its real and imaginary components to reveal its frequency content. They are also used in filtering and modulation techniques, among others.

5. Can complex numbers have physical significance in signal processing?

Yes, complex numbers can have physical significance in signal processing. For example, the phase component of a complex signal can represent the time delay of a signal, while the amplitude component can represent the attenuation or amplification of the signal.