Complex numbers with trig functions

In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity arctanh(z) = 1/2 ln( (1+z)/(1-z) ) using the equations cosh z = (ez + e-z)/2, sinh z = (ez - e-z)/2, and ez = ex + iy = ex(cosy + siniy). The discussion also includes a hint on how to approach the problem and a clarification on the use of arctanh instead of tanh.
thanksie037

Homework Statement

prove: arctanh(z) = 1/2 ln( (1+z)/(1-z) )

Homework Equations

cosh z = (ez + e-z)/2
sinh z = (ez - e-z)/2
ez = ex + iy = ex(cosy + siniy)

The Attempt at a Solution

cosh z / sin hz = ez+e-z/ez-e-z

Physics news on Phys.org
tanh(z)=sinh(z)/cosh(z). Not cosh(z)/sinh(z). This is just like the problem of finding the inverse of y=f(x). First you try and solve for x in terms of y then interchange x and y. Try and solve y=(e^x-e^(-x))/(e^x+e^(-x)) for x in terms of y and then interchange x and y. Hint: multiply numerator and denominator by e^x.

sorry, the problem specifies artanh . . .
solving for e^x won't give me the same properties that using z implies (since z = xi + y)

The inverse function of y=tanh(z) is arctanh. You don't need to break z down to it's real and imaginary components. You need to solve that equation for z in terms of y and then replace y with z.

thanks! I finally got it. i appreiate your help. cool problem.

1. What are complex numbers with trig functions?

Complex numbers with trig functions are numbers that involve both real and imaginary parts, and are expressed using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are often used in mathematical and scientific equations to represent quantities with both magnitude and direction.

2. How are complex numbers with trig functions represented?

Complex numbers with trig functions are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a represents the real part and bi represents the imaginary part. The letter i represents the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1.

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions?

The relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions is based on Euler's formula, which states that e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). Therefore, complex numbers with trig functions can be expressed in terms of these trigonometric functions.

4. How are complex numbers with trig functions used in real life?

Complex numbers with trig functions are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to represent alternating currents in electrical circuits, analyze periodic motion, and create visual effects in video games and animations.

5. Can complex numbers with trig functions be simplified?

Yes, complex numbers with trig functions can be simplified using trigonometric identities and properties. This is often done to make equations more manageable and easier to solve. However, it is important to note that simplifying complex numbers with trig functions may not always be necessary or beneficial.