Finding Three Cube Roots of -1+i: Exploring Complex Roots in Math

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the three cube roots of the complex number -1+i and the process of finding them using polar form and the DeMoivre's Theorem. The conversation also addresses some errors in the initial approach and provides a correct method for finding the three roots. The key to finding the roots is to take the cube root of both the modulus and the unit factor and to add multiples of 2π/3 to the argument. It is also important to be careful with calculations and to show detailed work when solving problems with complex numbers.
James889
Hai,

I wanted to find the three cube roots of -1+i

And since the questions says `three` n = 3

So it should be something like this [tex]\sqrt{2}cos(\frac{3\pi}{4} + i sin(\frac{3\pi}{4})[/tex]

But the key says that the answer is on the form [tex]2^{1/6}[/tex] why? clearly n was 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:
Hai,

I wanted to find the three cube roots of -1+i

And since the questions says `three` n = 3

So it should be something like this [tex]\sqrt{2}cos(\frac{3\pi}{4} + i sin(\frac{3\pi}{4})[/tex]

But the key says that the answer is on the form [tex]2^{1/6}[/tex] why? clearly n was 3?

How did you go about finding the roots? Remember that when you write the radicand in polar form you must take the cube root of both the modulus an the unit factor:
[tex] |-1 + i | = \sqrt{1+1} = 2^{1/2}[/tex]
So [tex]-1+i = 2^{1/2}u = ( 2^{1/6} v )^3[/tex]
where [tex]v^3 = u[/tex]
v and u unit complex numbers.

The complex number (-1 + i) is as you state [tex]\sqrt{2} \operatorname{cis} (3 \pi / 4)[/tex] where [itex]\operatorname{cis} \theta = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/itex].

A corollary to DeMoivre's Theorem states that the n, nth-roots of a complex number [itex]r \cdot \operatorname{cis} \theta[/itex] are

[tex]\sqrt[n]{r} \operatorname{cis} \left( \frac{\theta + 2 \pi k}{n} \right) \text{ for }k=0,1, \dots ,{n-1}[/tex]​

In your case the modulus is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. When you take the cube root you get

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt[6]{2}[/tex]​

I hope this helps.

--Elucidus

so the other roots must be

[tex]2^{1/6}cos(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{2\pi}{6}) +i sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{2\pi}{6}) = \frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

and
[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{4\pi}{6} = \frac{11\pi}{12}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{6\pi}{6} = \frac{15\pi}{12}[/tex]

Last edited:
James889 said:
so the other roots must be

[tex]2^{1/6}cos(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{2\pi}{6}) +i sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{2\pi}{6}) = \frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

and
[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{4\pi}{6} = \frac{11\pi}{12}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{6\pi}{6} = \frac{15\pi}{12}[/tex]
Be careful with your ='s. I don't understand what you mean by a + i b = r when b is not zero.

Also since you are looking for cube roots shouldn't you be adding multiples of 2 pi over 3?

[edit] Also I think you got it just wrong. You should be using:
[tex] ( \cos(t) + i \cdot \sin(t) )^n = \cos(nt) + i\cdot\sin(nt)[/tex]
Show your work so far instead of just these bits so I don't have to work it from scratch trying to guess your method. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" about submitting homework!

[edit2] I tell my math students "the quickest way to get there is to take your time!" You might even have found your own error if you'd more carefully presented your work. Your "quick question" is not so quick to be answered if you don't show the details of your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright,

So we have that the angle of -1 + i is [tex]\theta = tan^{-1}(-1) = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

The remaining roots should just be multiples by [tex]\frac{2\pi*k}{6}~\text{where k = 0,1,2}[/tex]

And therefore [tex]r_{2}=~\frac{pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi *1}{6} \longrightarrow\frac{3\pi+4\pi}{12}[/tex]

[tex]r_{3}=~\frac{pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi * 2}{6} \longrightarrow \frac{3\pi + 8\pi}{12} [/tex]

James889 said:
Alright,

So we have that the angle of -1 + i is [tex]\theta = tan^{-1}(-1) = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

It is true that the tangent of the argument of (-1 + i) is -1 but the arctangent of -1 is not [itex]\pi /4[/tex]; it is [itex]- \pi / 4[/itex]. Remember that the tangent is negative in the 2nd and 4th quadrants but the arctangent function can only return values in quadrant 1 and in 4 (as a negative angle).

Since the real component is negative and the imaginary component is positve, the original point lies in the 2nd complex quadrant and thus its argument must be [itex]3\pi /4[/itex] as you had stated in your first post.

The rest should follow from there.

--Elucidus

So the principal root is then [tex]2^{1/6}cos\bigg(\frac{3\pi}{4}\bigg) + isin\bigg(\frac{3\pi}{4}\bigg)[/tex]?

James889 said:
Alright,

The remaining roots should just be multiples by [tex]\frac{2\pi*k}{6}~\text{where k = 0,1,2}[/tex]

And therefore [tex]r_{2}=~\frac{pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi *1}{6} \longrightarrow\frac{3\pi+4\pi}{12}[/tex]

[tex]r_{3}=~\frac{pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi * 2}{6} \longrightarrow \frac{3\pi + 8\pi}{12} [/tex]

You need to start by writing:

[tex] -1 + i = r[\cos(\phi) +i\cdot \sin(\phi)] [/tex]
then double check it is correct for your angle.

You then use the fact that you can add [tex] \phi + 2\pi n[/tex] for any integer n and you still have your original complex number. (here sufficient for n = 0, 1, 2.)

Then show how you apply the power of complex numbers in polar form. What formula or rule are you using? I do this with complex exponentials. Some texts use a CIS function which comes to the same thing some may even work with matrices which is a bit esoteric but very "correct" algebraically.

Justify your statement "The remaining roots should just be multiples by ..."

I'm not going to confirm or hint at any more answers you ask until I see some detailed work!

In future use the template for homework questions:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In fact you should re-submit this one in this format.
----------
I'm not just being difficult for difficulty's sake. The point of the assignment is for you to go through the process carefully. Only when you understand it well then you can "be quick" and indeed you'll be both quick and correct. But I'm systematic even now on this sort of problem if its been a couple of days since I played with them because I store in my head the process I'm trying to get you to expound upon and not a memorized formula. That is the part which will transfer to other applications and make complex numbers a tool instead of a toy.

You'll get this problem shortly and kick yourself for the error. But you need to work on the more fundamental error in your method. Work through the problem as if you were explaining it to someone else. When you get an incorrect result you should start from scratch and view your steps skeptically. You need to be able to catch the errors from the front (as you work) and not from the back (after you compare your answer to a solution manual or see its not one of a multiple choice answer.)

Again remember: the quickest way to get there (= to the right answer and mastering the right method) is to take your time.

1. What are complex roots?

Complex roots are solutions to a polynomial equation that involve imaginary numbers. They are usually expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i = √-1).

2. How do you find complex roots?

To find complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or synthetic division. You can also use graphical methods or solve the equation using matrices.

3. Can complex roots be real numbers?

Yes, if the imaginary part (bi) is equal to zero, then the complex root will be a real number. This means that the solutions to the polynomial equation will lie on the real number line.

4. What are the applications of complex roots?

Complex roots have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve differential equations, analyze electrical circuits, and model oscillating systems, among others.

5. How do complex roots affect the graph of a polynomial function?

Complex roots can affect the graph of a polynomial function by changing the shape and position of the graph. Depending on the multiplicity and number of complex roots, the graph may have more or fewer turning points and may cross the x-axis at different points.