Component of angular velocity in rigid body motion -- which is right?

In summary: So even if you could combine the three rotations to give a rotation about a single axis, it would only be valid at a specific instant in time. In summary, the two definitions of w represent different ways of describing the rotational motion of a rigid body. One defines w as the axis of rotation and the other defines it as the rate of rotation about each basis axis. These can be combined as vectors, but not necessarily as finite rotations. The combined rotation can be seen as a rotation about a single axis at a specific instant in time, but in general, the rotation rate and axis will change over time.
mcheung4
Let w = (w1, w2, w3) wrt to the body frame of a rigid body, where the body frame is right-handed orthonormal. I have gathered 2 definitions of w from different sources and I am confused at how they connect to one another. One is that the RB rotates about w through its CoM at rate abs(w), the other is that each component of w represents the rate at which the RB rotates about that particular basis axis. Does this mean we can somehow add the 3 rotations (which are about different axes) and get an equivalent rotation about some other (single) axis? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mcheung4 said:
Let w = (w1, w2, w3) wrt to the body frame of a rigid body, where the body frame is right-handed orthonormal. I have gathered 2 definitions of w from different sources and I am confused at how they connect to one another. One is that the RB rotates about w through its CoM at rate abs(w), the other is that each component of w represents the rate at which the RB rotates about that particular basis axis. Does this mean we can somehow add the 3 rotations (which are about different axes) and get an equivalent rotation about some other (single) axis? Thanks!
Yes, if there is a simple finite rotation. That is Euler's rotation theorem. See:http://vmm.math.uci.edu/PalaisPapers/EulerFPT.pdf

Where there is continual rotation about more than one axis, one axis of rotation will rotate about another axis, which means the axis will precess. Warning: that analysis of rotational motion can be rather complicated and difficult.

AM

Last edited:
mcheung4 said:
Does this mean we can somehow add the 3 rotations (which are about different axes) and get an equivalent rotation about some other (single) axis?

You can add them as vectors. If you want to "add" them by doing 3 separate rotations, one about each axis, this is a different matter. A velocity is a rate of rotation, not a finite rotation. You'd have to define what it means to "apply each angular velocity component separately about its corresponding axis". I think you can make this definition meaningful if you think in terms of integrating angular velocity to get net displacement. As I recall, it has to do with taking the exponential of matrices.

Finite rotations don't commute. So if you say "perform each rotation separately about its correspondin axis" this doesn't define a unique answer. The order in which you perform them can give different results - i.e. a specific point on the rotating object can end up in different positions depending on the order of rotations. So if you treated the velocity numbers as finite rotations and performed the component rotations, you would not, in general, end up with a rotation equal to their vector sum.

At any instant in time, you can view the combined rotation as a rotation about a single axis, but unless the object is spherically symmetric (or has an inertial tensor with just a single eigenvalue), the rotation rate and axis will change over time.

I would like to clarify the two definitions of w that you have mentioned. The first definition, where the rigid body (RB) rotates about w through its center of mass (CoM) at a rate of abs(w), refers to the magnitude of the angular velocity vector. This means that the RB is rotating at a constant rate around an axis represented by the vector w, and the magnitude of this rotation is given by abs(w).

The second definition, where each component of w represents the rate at which the RB rotates about a particular basis axis, refers to the direction of the angular velocity vector. In a right-handed orthonormal body frame, the basis axes are represented by the unit vectors i, j, and k along the x, y, and z directions respectively. So, if w1 represents the rotation rate around the x-axis, w2 around the y-axis, and w3 around the z-axis, then the RB is rotating in all three dimensions simultaneously.

To answer your question, yes, we can add the three rotations (w1, w2, and w3) to get an equivalent rotation about a single axis. This is known as the Euler's rotation theorem, which states that any rotation in three-dimensional space can be represented by a single rotation around a fixed axis.

In summary, the component of angular velocity in rigid body motion is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction. The magnitude represents the rate of rotation, while the direction represents the axis around which the rotation is occurring. By adding the three components, we can determine the equivalent rotation around a single axis. I hope this clarifies your confusion.

1. What is the definition of angular velocity in rigid body motion?

Angular velocity in rigid body motion is a measure of the rate at which a rigid object rotates about a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction (axis of rotation).

2. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity is related to linear velocity through the formula v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest.

3. How is the component of angular velocity determined in rigid body motion?

The component of angular velocity in rigid body motion can be determined using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is linear velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest. This formula takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the angular velocity.

4. Is there a difference between the component of angular velocity in a rotating and non-rotating rigid body?

Yes, there is a difference. In a rotating rigid body, the component of angular velocity is dependent on the axis of rotation and the point of interest. In a non-rotating rigid body, the component of angular velocity is always zero because there is no rotation occurring.

5. How is the component of angular velocity affected by changes in the axis of rotation?

The component of angular velocity is affected by changes in the axis of rotation because it directly affects the direction of the angular velocity vector. As the axis of rotation changes, the direction of the angular velocity vector also changes, resulting in a different component of angular velocity.