Solve Composite Functions: f(x), g(x), Domains | MathHelp

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mathematical question involving functions and their domains. The question asks to find the values of f(x) - g(x), g(x)/f(x), f(x)g(x), and (fog)(x), as well as state their domains. The conversation also includes a clarification on the notation used for the given functions. Ultimately, the correct solution for (fog)(x) is determined and the participant is asked if they understand the concept of domains.
fr33pl4gu3
Can anyone help me solve this question??

Given f(x) = x2- 16 and g (x) = √x-3, find f(x) - g(x), g(x)/f(x), f(x)g(x) and (fog)(x) and state their domains.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

fr33pl4gu3 said:
Can anyone help me solve this question??

Given f(x) = x^2 - 16 and g (x) = sqrtx-3, find f(x) - g(x), g(x)/f(x), f(x)g(x) and (fog)(x) and state their domains.

Hi fr33pl4gu3 ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a squared: ² :smile:)

(do you mean √(x-3) or √(x) - 3? :confused:)

Show us what you've tried, and how far you've got, and then we'll know how to help you. :smile:

This is how i done it:

f(x) - g(x) = x2 - 16 - √x-3

g(x)/f(x) = √x-3 / x2 - 16

f(x)g(x) = (x2-16)(√x-3)

(fog)(x) = √x2-19

I wonder if this is correct.

Last edited:
fr33pl4gu3 said:
(fog)(x) = √x2-19

I wonder if this is correct.

Hi fr33pl4gu3! :smile:

Your first three are fine. :smile:

Your fog(x) isn't.

Show us in detail how you got it. :smile:

(and be more careful about where you put your brackets :smile:)

The last one is it done in this way:

(fog)(x) = f(√x-3) = (√x-3)2 - 16 = x-19

No, the first one is NOT correct. It is f(x)- g(x)= x2+ 16- (√(x)- 3) which is NOT x2+ 16- √(x)- 3.

(I am assuming that, by √(x)- 3, you mean √(x)- 3 and not √(x- 3). Tiny-tim is apparently assuming you meant √(x- 3). You never did answer tiny-tim's question.)

Hi fr33pl4gu3! :smile:
fr33pl4gu3 said:
The last one is it done in this way:

(fog)(x) = f(√x-3) = (√x-3)2 - 16 = x-19

Yes, that's right! :smile:

Are you ok with the domains?

1. What are composite functions?

Composite functions are functions that are formed by combining two or more functions together. The output of one function becomes the input of the other function, creating a new function.

2. How do I solve composite functions?

To solve composite functions, first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, substitute the inner function into the outer function, and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What is the domain of a composite function?

The domain of a composite function is the set of all input values that produce a valid output. It is determined by the domains of the individual functions involved in the composition.

4. Can I perform operations on composite functions?

Yes, you can perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on composite functions. However, it is important to keep track of the order of operations and follow the rules of function composition.

5. How can I check if my solution to a composite function is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in values from the domain into the composite function and comparing the resulting output to the given function values. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to graph the composite function and see if it matches the given graph.