Comprehensive Exam for Quantum Mechanics.

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for a comprehensive exam in MS Physics, where the student needs to answer 4 out of 7 problems. The topics for the exam include Fundamental Postulates of Quantum Mechanics, Wave Mechanics, Angular Momenta, Matrix Mechanics, Harmonic Oscillator, Atoms, and Approximation Methods. The student is asking for advice on which topics to focus on, and the other person suggests focusing on the weaker areas and looking at past exams for guidance. It is mentioned that the exam is coming up soon and that the student should have started studying earlier.
jhosamelly
So, for our comprehensive exam (MS Physics) we need to answer 4 out of 7 problems. Here are the topics.

1. Fundamental Postulates of Quantum Mechanics
2. Wave Mechanics
3. Angular Momenta
4. Matrix Mechanics
5. Harmonic Oscillator
6. Atoms
7. Approximation Methods

So, where do you think should I focus? What possible questions can they give based on these topics?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's effectively a year, or half year, of quantum mechanics.

Start with yourself - where do you feel you have the most deficiencies?

Well, our test is this coming saturday. What do you think should I study for Matrix Mechanics?

jhosamelly said:
Well, our test is this coming saturday. What do you think should I study for Matrix Mechanics?

Er.. you're kidding, right?

Your comp is this Saturday, and ONLY NOW are you figuring out what to study?

Zz.

jhosamelly said:
I am not too sure what advice to give.

Everything you listed is very important.

ZapperZ said:

Better than waiting until Friday night!

ZapperZ said:
Er.. you're kidding, right?

Zz.

I've been reviewing for quite some time now. Don't get me wrong. Well, what I want now is to focus on some topics which most probably would be given in the exam. Thanks

jhosamelly said:
I've been reviewing for quite some time now. Don't get me wrong. Well, what I want now is to focus on some topics which most probably would be given in the exam. Thanks

The topics you should focus on are probably the topics you're weakest in.

Can you get your hands on some past exams? What did they ask?

Well, I spent about 4 months solving problems from previous qualifying exams to prepare for mine. QM was 1/3 of the exam, so I'd say if you spent 1.3 months doing problems and getting most of them correct, you'd be almost ready. Asking us a few days before the exam? Now might be a good time to start studying for next year's test.

1. What is a comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics?

A comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics is a test that assesses a student's understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement.

2. How is a comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics structured?

A comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics is typically divided into different sections, each covering a specific topic or aspect of quantum mechanics. It may include multiple-choice questions, problem-solving exercises, and essay questions.

3. What is the purpose of a comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics?

The purpose of a comprehensive exam for quantum mechanics is to evaluate a student's mastery of the subject and assess their readiness to progress to more advanced studies in quantum mechanics. It also helps identify any gaps in their understanding and allows for targeted remediation.

4. How should I prepare for a comprehensive exam in quantum mechanics?

Preparing for a comprehensive exam in quantum mechanics requires a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. It is essential to review class notes, textbooks, and practice solving problems. Additionally, seeking guidance from professors or attending review sessions can also be helpful.

5. What are some tips for taking a comprehensive exam in quantum mechanics?

Some tips for taking a comprehensive exam in quantum mechanics include carefully reading and understanding each question, identifying key concepts and principles, and showing all work and calculations. It is also essential to manage time effectively and to stay calm and focused during the exam.