Compressed spring with frictional forces problem

In summary, the problem involves a book with a mass of 2.50 kg being compressed against a horizontal spring with a force constant of 250 N/m. When released, the book slides horizontally across a surface with a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.30. The goal is to determine how far the book moves from its original position before stopping. The work-energy theorem and Newton's second law are both used in solving this problem, with the friction force being equal to the product of the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force. The initial and final kinetic energies are both zero, and the frictional force is equal to μmg.
offbeatjumi

Homework Statement

A book (mass 2.50 kg) is forced against horizontal spring (negligible mass) with force constant 250 N/m, the spring is compressed 0.250m. When it's released the textbook slides horizontally across a surface with kinetic friction coeff = 0.30. How far does the book move from its original position before stopping?

Homework Equations

W = 1/2kX^2... F(s) = kx. U(s) = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use the work energy theorem here.
I was trying to use E2 + W(non-cons) = E1 since there is a nonconservative force in this problem. But isn't the initial and final kinetic energy both zero? I tried using Newton's 2nd law as well... F(net,x) = F(s) - f(k). But at the time when its released, it is not static equillibrium and I can't solve that equation. Unless... does f(k) = (mu)k*n (normal force?) where n = mg.
If anyone can help me set a foot in the correct direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
offbeatjumi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use the work energy theorem here.
I was trying to use E2 + W(non-cons) = E1 since there is a nonconservative force in this problem. But isn't the initial and final kinetic energy both zero? I tried using Newton's 2nd law as well... F(net,x) = F(s) - f(k). But at the time when its released, it is not static equillibrium and I can't solve that equation. Unless... does f(k) = (mu)k*n (normal force?) where n = mg.
If anyone can help me set a foot in the correct direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Right good, this is correct. If frictional force FR= μN = μmg, and the initial energy is 1/2kx2, what is this converted into during the motion in general?

I would first start by identifying the key variables and equations relevant to this problem. The key variables here are the mass of the book (2.50 kg), the force constant of the spring (250 N/m), the displacement of the spring (0.250m), and the kinetic friction coefficient (0.30). The equations that can be used to solve this problem are the work-energy theorem, F=ma, and the equations for work and potential energy of a spring.

Next, I would suggest setting up a free-body diagram for the book to visualize the forces acting on it. This would include the force from the compressed spring (F(s)) and the kinetic friction force (f(k)).

To solve for the distance the book moves before stopping, we can use the work-energy theorem. This states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by the spring is equal to the change in the book's kinetic energy, which is zero at both the starting and stopping points.

We can therefore set up the equation: W(s) + W(f) = 0, where W(s) is the work done by the spring and W(f) is the work done by friction. We can solve for the work done by the spring using the equation W(s) = 1/2kx^2, where k is the force constant and x is the displacement of the spring. We can solve for the work done by friction using the equation W(f) = f(k)d, where d is the distance the book moves before stopping.

Finally, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for d to find the distance the book moves before stopping. This will give us the final answer to the problem.

1. How do frictional forces affect the compression of a spring?

The presence of frictional forces will decrease the amount of compression a spring experiences. This is because friction converts some of the potential energy of the compressed spring into heat, resulting in less stored energy in the spring.

2. How do I calculate the force required to compress a spring with frictional forces?

The force required to compress a spring with frictional forces can be calculated using the formula F = kx + μFn, where F is the applied force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, μ is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

3. What is the coefficient of friction in a compressed spring with frictional forces problem?

The coefficient of friction, represented by the symbol μ, is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. In a compressed spring with frictional forces problem, the coefficient of friction is typically given and can vary depending on the materials and surfaces involved.

4. How do I account for frictional forces in a compressed spring experiment?

To account for frictional forces in a compressed spring experiment, the coefficient of friction between the surfaces in contact must be determined and included in the calculations. This value can be obtained through experimentation or research.

5. Can frictional forces be ignored in a compressed spring problem?

No, frictional forces cannot be ignored in a compressed spring problem. These forces play a significant role in the behavior and characteristics of the system and must be taken into account in order to accurately analyze and predict the motion of the compressed spring.