1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed spring with frictional forces problem

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A book (mass 2.50 kg) is forced against horizontal spring (negligible mass) with force constant 250 N/m, the spring is compressed 0.250m. When it's released the textbook slides horizontally across a surface with kinetic friction coeff = 0.30. How far does the book move from its original position before stopping?

2. Relevant equations

W = 1/2kX^2.... F(s) = kx. U(s) = 1/2kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use the work energy theorem here.
    I was trying to use E2 + W(non-cons) = E1 since there is a nonconservative force in this problem. But isnt the initial and final kinetic energy both zero? I tried using Newton's 2nd law as well.... F(net,x) = F(s) - f(k). But at the time when its released, it is not static equillibrium and I can't solve that equation. Unless... does f(k) = (mu)k*n (normal force?) where n = mg.
    If anyone can help me set a foot in the correct direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right good, this is correct. If frictional force FR= μN = μmg, and the initial energy is 1/2kx2, what is this converted into during the motion in general?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook