Computer acquisition of analog ammeter reading

In summary, you can measure the current flowing through a resistor by running the lead from the ammeter through it and measuring the voltage drop.
aliaze1
Hi,

My friends and I are doing a project that involves some very high (multiples of 10 kV and above) voltage, but very low current.

The controller for our transformer has an analog ammeter on it, but we would like to have a computer read and recored the current readings from it. We have a microcontroller that can read voltages, so I was thinking we could take the leads of this analog ammeter, and run it through a 1Ω resistor and get a voltage drop, which will have the same value as the current since the resistor is only 1Ω.

iecproj.jpg
Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
aliaze1 said:
Hi,

My friends and I are doing a project that involves some very high (multiples of 10 kV and above) voltage, but very low current.

The controller for our transformer has an analog ammeter on it, but we would like to have a computer read and recored the current readings from it. We have a microcontroller that can read voltages, so I was thinking we could take the leads of this analog ammeter, and run it through a 1Ω resistor and get a voltage drop, which will have the same value as the current since the resistor is only 1Ω.

iecproj.jpg

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

As Norm Abram likes to say at the start of every New Yankee Workshop show, "Let's first talk about shop safety."

Is the ammeter measuring current in the transformer itself, or is it somehow isolated and SELV? You need a safety barrier somewhere between the high voltage and your SELV microcontroller and other circuity.

Yes, you can do that, but it would be better to put the resistor in the return path of the high voltage supply.
This way, one side of the output is grounded and the other side is only slightly above ground. So, no high voltages are going to get to your expensive micro chip.

HV current.PNG
You will probably need a bigger resistor than 1 ohm and, if the current is very small, even 1000 ohms probably isn't going to make much difference to your current flow.

This will give you a voltage of 1 volt per mA of current being measured, but adjust R to suit your actual current.

Related to Computer acquisition of analog ammeter reading

1. How does a computer acquire analog ammeter reading?

A computer acquires analog ammeter reading through the use of a data acquisition system, which consists of hardware and software components. The hardware includes an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that converts the analog signal from the ammeter into digital data that the computer can process. The software then translates this data into a readable format for the user.

2. What is the advantage of using a computer to acquire analog ammeter reading?

The advantage of using a computer to acquire analog ammeter reading is that it allows for more accurate and precise measurements. The computer can process and analyze the data at a much faster rate than a human, reducing the potential for human error. Additionally, the computer can store and organize the data for future analysis.

3. Can any computer be used for acquiring analog ammeter reading?

No, not all computers are capable of acquiring analog ammeter reading. The computer must have a compatible data acquisition system and software to perform this task. Additionally, the computer's processing power and memory capacity may also affect its ability to accurately and efficiently acquire analog ammeter reading.

4. How does a computer handle fluctuations in the analog ammeter reading?

A computer is able to handle fluctuations in the analog ammeter reading through the use of filters and data processing algorithms. These tools can remove noise and smooth out the data, providing a more accurate representation of the ammeter reading. Additionally, the computer can detect and flag any unusual or inconsistent data points for further analysis.

5. Is there any risk of data loss when using a computer to acquire analog ammeter reading?

There is always a risk of data loss when using a computer, as with any electronic device. However, data loss can be minimized by regularly backing up the data and ensuring the computer and data acquisition system are functioning properly. It is also important to follow proper data handling procedures and protocols to prevent any accidental data loss.