Computer displays words that are thought about (using electrodes implanted in the human brain)

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Summary:
An experimental system connecting electrodes implanted in a brain can display words that a person thinks of saying.
In a collaboration of several institutions researchers have been able to record the thoughts of a person with a brain stem stroke resulting in anarthria (an inability to articulate speech) by mplanting network of electrodes in the brain and using a machine learning algorithm to decode the thoughts of words and display them on a computer screen.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/...3473&user_id=799d953295eabb464706b7f2130bc45f

Likes 256bits, berkeman, pbuk and 1 other person

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I see the article as being behind a paywall
I'm able to access the NYT article in the OP link.

256bits
Gold Member

RESULTS​

We decoded sentences from the participant’s cortical activity in real time at a median rate of 15.2 words per minute, with a median word error rate of 25.6%. In post hoc analyses, we detected 98% of the attempts by the participant to produce individual words, and we classified words with 47.1% accuracy using cortical signals that were stable throughout the 81-week study period.

That's about the state of my typing skills.

Likes Keith_McClary