Computer engineering projects for physics. Proposals?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker is a computer engineering student with a strong interest in physics. They are looking for ideas for their senior project and hope to contribute to the field of physics through software or device creation. One suggestion is to create a device that measures the temperature of equipment and pipelines using an infrared thermometer and gives an acoustic signal for safety purposes. The conversation also discusses the use of software simulations and data acquisition in designing robust transceivers, and suggests exploring similar design approaches in physics.
Samira
i'm a computer engineering student but i have always been interested in physics and wanted to contribute to it,next semester i will be working on my senior project and i was wondering if any of the physicists here or scientists in general think that there's something that i could create whether it's a software or a device that could help them in their work, I'm not sure if i should be posting this here but I'm hoping i could get a reply, I'm currently collecting ideas to suggest my professors.

Science news on Phys.org
You could create a device that measures the temperature of the equipment and pipelines (solid objects) in front of a person and which gives an acoustic sign in case a high temperature reading appears. Perhaps, this could be done by scanning the area in front of a person with a rotating infrared thermometer, attached to the belt of the person.
This device would be very useful especially for people who work in the industry, because it improves safety.

Likes anorlunda
Samira said:
i'm a computer engineering student but i have always been interested in physics and wanted to contribute to it,next semester i will be working on my senior project and i was wondering if any of the physicists here or scientists in general think that there's something that i could create whether it's a software or a device that could help them in their work, I'm not sure if i should be posting this here but I'm hoping i could get a reply, I'm currently collecting ideas to suggest my professors.
What software packages are you fluent in? Have you worked with data acquisition setups in the past? Some of the best interactions between technical software and test hardware that I've been involved with used MATLAB and C and some scripting (Tcl or Python) to simulate communication circuits and iterate on transceiver designs to get maximum performance out of the final ASICs that we designed.

So we would do initial simulations of the communication channel and take our first cut at simulating the transceiver hardware, then build that hardware using FPGAs and discrete analog circuitry and do some initial testing with a real channel. We would digitize the signals on the channel (our comm signals plus the noise plus the distortions introduced by the real channel), and then use that data to re-simulate the transceiver and try various fixes to improve performance.

Being able to use software simulations and work with real data in the simulations and iterating multiple times has resulted in a very robust transceiver design. Without the initial simulations and iterating the prototype hardware, there is no way we could have come up with the amazing performance that we are shipping now as a product.

So you might look for opportunities in physics where such a design paradigm could apply. Something where you can mix software simulationj, data acqusition, hardware prototyping with FPGAs or CPLDs, and and iterative design approach... :smile:

1. What is the purpose of computer engineering projects for physics proposals?

Computer engineering projects for physics proposals aim to apply principles of computer engineering to solve problems and conduct experiments in the field of physics. These projects often involve designing and implementing algorithms, building simulations, and analyzing data to better understand physical phenomena.

2. What are some examples of computer engineering projects for physics proposals?

Examples of computer engineering projects for physics proposals include developing software for data analysis in particle physics experiments, creating simulations of complex physical systems, and designing algorithms for image processing in astronomy.

3. How can computer engineering projects for physics proposals benefit the field of physics?

Computer engineering projects can benefit physics by providing new tools and techniques for data analysis and experimentation. They can also help address complex problems that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful computer engineering project for physics proposal?

To successfully complete a computer engineering project for physics, one should have a strong understanding of both computer engineering principles and physics concepts. Key skills include programming, data analysis, and problem-solving abilities.

5. How can I get started on a computer engineering project for physics proposal?

To get started on a computer engineering project for physics, it is helpful to first identify a specific problem or area of interest within the field of physics. Then, research existing tools and techniques that can be applied to the problem, and consider how computer engineering principles can be used to enhance or improve upon these methods. Finally, develop a proposal outlining the project's goals, methodology, and expected outcomes.