Computing a discrete surface integral of a scalar function

In summary, we have a triangulated discrete manifold with assigned scalar values to each vertex. We need to compute the surface integral of the scalar field over each triangular face. A proposed solution uses a parametrization and a double integral, but it is incorrect as it assumes linearity of the function. The correct approach would be to use the full expression of the function and integrate it over the face.
teodron
Consider a triangulated discrete manifold (a polyhedron) with known vertices (i.e. each vertex is given in terms of its $$(x,y,z)$$ coordinates ).

Assign scalar values (some kind of potentials) to each vertex (i.e. at each vertex, a $$k_t(\mathbf{v})$$ is known through its value, no analytical expression is given!).

For any triangular face of this discrete manifold, one is required to compute the surface integral of the $$k_t$$ scalar discrete field:
$$ \int_{\Delta}{k_t dS} $$

I have a small sketch for a solution, but I do not feel it is mathematically sound. Could anyone follow it briefly and see what goes wrong (if anything?)?

Let
\begin{equation}
\label{eq:parametrization}
\mathbf{v}(s,t) = (1-t)\left[ (1-s)\mathbf{v}_k + s\mathbf{v}_j \right] + t \mathbf{v}_i,
\end{equation}
with $ (s,t) \in [0,1]^2 $ be a parametrization for $ \Delta $ . If $f \equiv k_t $ is the energy function defined over a surface patch, then
\begin{equation}
\label{eq:energyParametrization}
f(\mathbf{v}(s,t)) = (1-t)[(1-s) f(\mathbf{v}_k) + s f(\mathbf{v}_j)] + t f(\mathbf{v}_i).
\end{equation}
Hence, the surface integral can be transformed into the following double integral:
\begin{equation}
\label{eq:energySurfaceIntegral}
\int_{\Delta_{\mathbf{v}_i\mathbf{v}_j\mathbf{v}_k}} {f(x,y,z) dS} = \int_0^1 \int_0^1 {g(s,t) \left\lVert \frac{\partial \mathbf{v}}{\partial s} \times \frac{\partial \mathbf{v}}{\partial t} \right\rVert ds dt },
\end{equation}
where $$g(s,t) = f(\mathbf{v}(s,t)) $$. This last expression is directly computable and leads to the following discrete bending energy
formulation over the 1-ring of a $$\mathbf{v}_i$$ vertex:
\begin{multline}
\label{eq:bendingEnergyDiscrete}
E_{bending}(\mathbf{v}_i) = \sum_{\Delta_{\mathbf{v}_i\mathbf{v}_j\mathbf{v}_k} \in \mathcal{N}^1(\mathbf{v}_i)}
\frac{3f(\mathbf{v}_j) + 3f(\mathbf{v}_k) + 4f(\mathbf{v}_i)}{15} \cdot \\
\cdot \left\lVert \mathbf{v}_j\times\mathbf{v}_i - \mathbf{v}_j\times \mathbf{v}_k - \mathbf{v}_k\times\mathbf{v}_i \right\rVert .
\end{multline}

Physics news on Phys.org
This method is wrong because it assumes that the function $f$ is linear, which may not be the case in general. In order to compute the integral correctly, one should use the full expression of the function $f$ and integrate it over the triangular face.

Related to Computing a discrete surface integral of a scalar function

1. What is a discrete surface integral of a scalar function?

A discrete surface integral of a scalar function is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total value of a scalar function over a given surface. It involves breaking the surface into smaller, discrete pieces and calculating the value of the function on each piece, then summing these values together.

2. What types of surfaces can be used for computing a discrete surface integral?

A discrete surface integral can be computed on any surface that can be broken into discrete pieces, such as a plane, a sphere, or a cube. The surface must also be bounded and have a finite area.

3. What is the purpose of computing a discrete surface integral of a scalar function?

The main purpose of computing a discrete surface integral of a scalar function is to find the total value of the function over a given surface. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the total surface area of a 3D object or determining the average value of a function over a given surface.

4. What is the process for computing a discrete surface integral of a scalar function?

The process for computing a discrete surface integral involves breaking the surface into smaller, discrete pieces (usually triangles or rectangles), calculating the value of the function on each piece, and then summing these values together using a mathematical formula. This process can be done manually or using specialized software.

5. What are some real-world applications of computing a discrete surface integral?

Computing a discrete surface integral has many real-world applications, including in computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the surface area of 3D objects, determine the average temperature or pressure over a given surface, and model fluid flow over a surface, among other things.