Analyzing Forces & Electrons: Free Body Diagram

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving two small insulating objects hung from strings and rubbed against each other to transfer charge. The objects come to equilibrium and the number of electrons transferred is determined using a free body diagram and relevant equations. The original post included a picture of the work.
VividAce
Hi i am posting this to double check my work. Please help and feel free to ask any questions. I posted a picture of my work and what i currently have.

1. Homework Statement

Two small insulating objects are hung from strings attached to the ceiling. The masses of each object is 0.0076 kg. The strings are .50 m long and the points where they attach to the ceiling are separated by 1.0 m. The objects are made of different materials. They are rubbed against each other allowing charge to transfer between them. Then, with the objects held so the strings are vertical they release.They pull together and come to equilibrium separated by .72 m.
Analyze the situation using a free body diagram. Use the relation established from your analysis to determine the number of electrons that were transferred from one objects to the other when they were rubbed together. Note, to obtain the numerical result requires the values of coulombs constant, k, the acceleration of gravity,g, and the electron charge, e.

Homework Equations

F=(K*q1*q2)/r2
T=Tension in string
T*cos=mg
T*sin(thetha)=F(Force of attraction)
f=mg*tan

The Attempt at a Solution

See image below[/B]

Attachments

• Physics12.png
    Physics12.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ace, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

I need a lot of enlargement, but then I see ##F = mg \tan\theta = ## followed by ##m## and by ##g## only ... :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for taking time and viewing thread. Your are right, i must have forgot about it thanks.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion of an object and determine the net force acting on it.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by sketching the object in question and labeling all of the external forces acting on it. Then, draw arrows representing the magnitude and direction of each force. Finally, label the forces and include any known values for each force.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing forces in relation to electrons?

Analyzing forces in relation to electrons allows us to understand how electrons behave in different situations. By studying forces such as electric and magnetic forces, we can gain insight into how electrons move and interact with each other.

4. How are forces and electrons related in an atom?

Forces and electrons are related in an atom because electrons are influenced by various forces such as electric, magnetic, and gravitational forces. These forces determine the behavior and movement of electrons within an atom.

5. How can analyzing forces help us understand the behavior of matter?

Analyzing forces can help us understand the behavior of matter because forces play a crucial role in determining the motion and interactions of particles within matter. By studying the forces acting on matter, we can gain insight into the behavior and properties of different types of materials.