1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condensed Matter text books

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    I wish to self study condensed matter physics. I believe the Kittel and Arschcroft&Mermin are the most popular textbooks. I have read that Kittel is not very clear, however it his half the price of A&M on amazon. Also, my background in Quantum Mechanics comes entirely from Griffiths' intro, and its treatment of periodic potentials and band theory was limited to a simple one dimensional example. Might either of the two textbooks be too advanced for my background in QM? Are there any other good textbooks?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2
    coincidentally, i spent today perusing through omar's elementary solid state physics, and it looks to be pretty good.
  4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    Kittel is a nice introduction to the subject (and at roughly the right level if you understand quantum mechanics at the level of Griffiths's text) if you read the text carefully and work through every derivation. This is especially true if you're using the 8th edition, as it has some (generally obvious) typos that are not present in the 7th edition. :confused: After a careful reading of Kittel, you will be well prepared to tackle the more sophisticated and general treatment of the same topics in Ashcroft & Mermin. For condensed matter physics beyond the solid state, I believe Principles of Condensed Matter Physics by Chaikin & Lubensky is the standard text.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. Jan 4, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the input, guys. I will go with Kittel.
  6. Jan 31, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I really like "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky.
  7. Feb 22, 2008 #6
    you could try out a.j.dekker, solid state physics... simple but good and more organised than kittel...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?