Exploring Condensed Matter Physics: A Comparative Look at Popular Textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying condensed matter physics and the popular textbooks for this subject. The two most popular ones are Kittel and Arschcroft&Mermin, with Kittel being more affordable but potentially less clear. The person's background in quantum mechanics is based on Griffiths' introductory text, which has a limited treatment of periodic potentials and band theory. There is a suggestion to also consider "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky, which is considered the standard text for condensed matter physics beyond the solid state. Another recommendation is "Solid State Physics" by A.J. Dekker, which is simple and well-organized.
Atomos
I wish to self study condensed matter physics. I believe the Kittel and Arschcroft&Mermin are the most popular textbooks. I have read that Kittel is not very clear, however it his half the price of A&M on amazon. Also, my background in Quantum Mechanics comes entirely from Griffiths' intro, and its treatment of periodic potentials and band theory was limited to a simple one dimensional example. Might either of the two textbooks be too advanced for my background in QM? Are there any other good textbooks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atomos said:
I wish to self study condensed matter physics. I believe the Kittel and Arschcroft&Mermin are the most popular textbooks. I have read that Kittel is not very clear, however it his half the price of A&M on amazon. Also, my background in Quantum Mechanics comes entirely from Griffiths' intro, and its treatment of periodic potentials and band theory was limited to a simple one dimensional example. Might either of the two textbooks be too advanced for my background in QM? Are there any other good textbooks?

coincidentally, i spent today perusing through omar's elementary solid state physics, and it looks to be pretty good.

Kittel is a nice introduction to the subject (and at roughly the right level if you understand quantum mechanics at the level of Griffiths's text) if you read the text carefully and work through every derivation. This is especially true if you're using the 8th edition, as it has some (generally obvious) typos that are not present in the 7th edition. :confused: After a careful reading of Kittel, you will be well prepared to tackle the more sophisticated and general treatment of the same topics in Ashcroft & Mermin. For condensed matter physics beyond the solid state, I believe Principles of Condensed Matter Physics by Chaikin & Lubensky is the standard text.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, guys. I will go with Kittel.

Atomos said:

I really like "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky.

you could try out a.j.dekker, solid state physics... simple but good and more organised than kittel...

1. What is condensed matter?

Condensed matter is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of matter in its solid and liquid states. It includes the study of materials such as metals, semiconductors, polymers, and liquids.

2. What are some common topics covered in condensed matter textbooks?

Some common topics covered in condensed matter textbooks include crystal structure, electrical and thermal properties, magnetism, phase transitions, and superconductivity.

3. What is the difference between condensed matter physics and solid state physics?

Condensed matter physics is a broader field that includes the study of both solid and liquid states of matter, while solid state physics specifically focuses on the properties of solid materials.

4. Is a background in quantum mechanics necessary for understanding condensed matter physics?

While a background in quantum mechanics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for understanding condensed matter physics. Many condensed matter textbooks provide a review of relevant quantum mechanics principles as they pertain to the study of materials.

5. What are some popular condensed matter textbooks used in universities?

Some popular condensed matter textbooks used in universities include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Ashcroft and Mermin, and "Condensed Matter Physics" by Michael P. Marder.