Confused About Isotherms: Graph of Methane Volume vs Pressure

In summary: Well, isn't that embarrassing on my part? Thanks for the correction!In summary, the professor wants us to make a graph of a experiment where the volume of methane gas was measured at various pressures and temperatures. The pressure is held constant.
MotoPayton
I have a basic question on my prelab. The professor wants us to make a graph of of a experiment where the volume of methane gas was measured at various pressures. The temperature is held constant. She gives us data for this experiment and wants us to make a graph for it as practice.

I can dot the graph but is this correct? I have studied isotherms in the past and I have never heard of being able to change pressure and measure volume from it? I thought the volume was the independent set and pressure was dependent? I am confused

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Take cylinder and piston. Apply different forces. Pressure inside is a simple function of the force. You can measure volume from the piston position. Where is the problem?

Can you change the pressure on a system and then measure the resultant change in volume? My question is wether the order matters in PV graph

Do you either
1) Change volume
2) measure pressure

or the opposite way
1)change pressure
2) measure volume

Because isn't it impossible to change the pressure without touching the volume in an isothermic process?

MotoPayton said:
Can you change the pressure on a system and then measure the resultant change in volume?

Yes, as I explained to you in my previous post.

Do you either
1) Change volume
2) measure pressure

I can't think of a way to change the volume not by changing the pressure. But it doesn't matter much. Isotherm is described by pV=const. Both plots are correct. You don't have to change the volume - you may know the volume and be interested in what the pressure is.

Borek said:
I can't think of a way to change the volume not by changing the pressure.

Allright cool that answers my question.
Thanks

Recall the gas laws:

Boyle's Law states:
P[tex]\alpha[/tex]V (The pressure of a gas is proportional to its volume and vice versa.)
Avogadro's Law states:
V[tex]\alpha[/tex]n (The volume of a gas is proportional to its amount (in moles) and vice versa.)
Charle's Law states:
V[tex]\alpha[/tex]T (The volume of a gas is proportional to its temperature and vice versa.)
Gay-Lussac's Law states:
P[tex]\alpha[/tex]T (The pressure of a gas is proportional to its temperature and vice versa.)

From these gas laws, you can derive the combined gas law equation:

[tex]\frac{P1V1}{n1T1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{P2V2}{n2T2}[/tex]

..and since the process you were observing was isothermic (and assuming that no gas was added or removed), the equation will simplify to:

P1V1 = P2V2 where any change in pressure will result in a change in volume and vice versa.

Hopefully, in addition to Borek's replies, this will add a little bit more insight. :)

jtabije said:
Recall the gas laws:

Boyle's Law states:
P[tex]\alpha[/tex]V (The pressure of a gas is proportional to its volume and vice versa.)

Actually, you have this one wrong...pressure and volume are inversely proportional, not directly proportional.

PhaseShifter said:
Actually, you have this one wrong...pressure and volume are inversely proportional, not directly proportional.

Well, isn't that embarrassing on my part? Thanks for the correction!

Related to Confused About Isotherms: Graph of Methane Volume vs Pressure

1. What are isotherms?

Isotherms are curves on a graph that represent how a substance, such as methane, behaves at different temperatures. They show the relationship between pressure and volume at a constant temperature.

2. Why is the graph of methane volume vs pressure confusing?

The graph of methane volume vs pressure can be confusing because it does not follow the typical trend seen in most substances. As pressure increases, the volume of methane decreases until it reaches a certain point, after which it starts to increase again. This is known as the critical point and is unique to methane.

3. What is the critical point in the graph of methane volume vs pressure?

The critical point is the point on the graph where the volume of methane is at its minimum and the pressure is at its maximum. This is the point where the gas and liquid phases of methane become indistinguishable from each other.

4. How does temperature affect the graph of methane volume vs pressure?

Temperature has a significant impact on the graph of methane volume vs pressure. As the temperature increases, the critical point shifts to the right, and the shape of the graph changes. At higher temperatures, the critical point may disappear altogether, and the graph may show a continuous decrease in volume as pressure increases.

5. What is the significance of the graph of methane volume vs pressure for scientists?

The graph of methane volume vs pressure is crucial for scientists because it allows them to understand the behavior of methane at different temperatures and pressures. This information is essential for various industrial and scientific applications, such as natural gas extraction and storage, as well as for studying the behavior of other substances with similar properties.