Confused about monochromatic flux

In summary, the conversation is about flux, specifically the relationship and conversion between monochromatic flux with respect to wavelength and frequency. There is confusion about the different names used for this concept in various textbooks. The equations for monochromatic flux with respect to frequency and wavelength are given, and there is a discrepancy in how to convert between the two. However, after further investigation, it is found that both equations are essentially the same and can be simplified to the same result.
constellation
We're covering flux/luminosity/magnitudes etc in Astrophysics module at the moment but I'm getting myself into a bit of a muddle when it comes to flux.

We've been given monochromatic and bolometric flux equations, both with respect to wavelength and with respect to frequency.

And I'm trying to understand the relationship and conversion between the monochromatic flux wrt wavelength and wrt frequency but finding it quite confusing. It doesn't help that every textbook I look in seems to call it a different name!

Are "monochromatic flux", "spectral flux density" and "flux density" all the same thing? The two texts I'm looking at currently both quote them as the same definition, i.e power divided by area of telescope and the bandwidth. And all quote units of W m-2 Hz-1 or W m-2 nm-1. (Some texts go on to mention angles and derive new quantities but we haven't covered that yet so I'm only looking at the basic form).

The equations we have been given are:

Monochromatic flux wrt frequency,

[tex]F_{\nu} = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta A\Delta t\Delta\nu}[/tex]

and monochromatic flux wrt wavelength,

[tex]F_{\lambda} = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta A\Delta t\Delta\lambda}[/tex]

If they are one and the same, why then would one text say that in order to convert between F(lambda) and F(nu) you would use

[tex]\nu F_{\nu} = \lambda F_{\lambda}[/tex] http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cc9L8QWcZWsC&pg=RA1-PA94&lpg=RA1-PA94"

but others say that you need to use

[tex]F_{\nu} d\nu = -F_{\lambda} d\lambda[/tex] which then goes down to

[tex]F_{\nu} = F_{\lambda} \left(\frac{\lambda^{2}}{c} \right)[/tex] http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hp7vyaGvhLMC&pg=PA337&lpg=PA337"

Confused! :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Okay, after spending all day trying to get this, I just did it after minutes of posting this topic, typical. Substituting c=lambda*nu into the last equation and canceling down/simplifying gets you to the result in the other textbook. Peace of mind at last :blushing:

1. What is monochromatic flux?

Monochromatic flux refers to the amount of energy or radiation that is emitted or transmitted at a specific wavelength, or color. It is typically measured in watts per square meter per micron or nanometer.

2. How is monochromatic flux different from total flux?

Total flux refers to the overall amount of energy or radiation emitted or transmitted across all wavelengths. Monochromatic flux, on the other hand, only considers the energy at a specific wavelength. In other words, monochromatic flux is a narrow measurement while total flux is a broad measurement.

3. What factors affect monochromatic flux?

Monochromatic flux can be affected by several factors, including the temperature and composition of the emitting or transmitting source, the distance the energy or radiation travels, and any intervening materials that may absorb or scatter the energy. Additionally, the wavelength itself can also impact the monochromatic flux.

4. How is monochromatic flux measured?

Monochromatic flux is typically measured using specialized instruments such as spectrometers or radiometers. These instruments can detect and quantify the amount of energy or radiation at a specific wavelength, allowing for accurate measurement of monochromatic flux.

5. Why is understanding monochromatic flux important?

Understanding monochromatic flux is important in many fields of science, including astronomy, atmospheric science, and materials science. It can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of various sources of energy or radiation, and can also help in designing and optimizing technologies that rely on specific wavelengths of energy.