Confused by Integration in Polar Coordinates: Why Use This Unfamiliar Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution in integration in polar coordinates. The speaker asks for an explanation of the change in terms and questions why the regular u-substitution was not used. The expert summarizer notes that both u-substitutions would work, but using u = sin(θ) avoids the complication of a negative sign.
Abdul.119
So I was reading a solution of a problem that has to do with integration in polar coordinates, and in one of the steps it did this

2yukcw1.png

How did these terms (circled in blue) change like that? I've never seen a step like that before..

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:
So I was reading a solution of a problem that has to do with integration in polar coordinates, and in one of the steps it did this

2yukcw1.png

How did these terms (circled in blue) change like that? I've never seen a step like that before..
What is the differential of ##\sin \theta##?

If y = f(x), the differential of y is defined as dy = f'(x) dx

The substitution rule says
##\int f(x) \, \frac{du}{dx} \, dx = \int f(u(x)) \, du(x)##
Hence, ##\theta = x##, ##\frac{du}{dx} = \cos\theta## and ##u = \sin \theta## gives
##\int f(\theta) \, cos(\theta) \, d\theta = \int f(\theta) \, d(\sin(\theta))##

pwsnafu said:
The substitution rule says
##\int f(x) \, \frac{du}{dx} \, dx = \int f(u(x)) \, du(x)##
Hence, ##\theta = x##, ##\frac{du}{dx} = \cos\theta## and ##u = \sin \theta## gives
##\int f(\theta) \, cos(\theta) \, d\theta = \int f(\theta) \, d(\sin(\theta))##

Why didn't they use the regular u-substitution, where u = cos(θ) , and du = -sin(θ) dθ ?

u = sin(θ) , and du = cos(θ) dθ avoids the complication of sign change.

Abdul.119 said:
Why didn't they use the regular u-substitution, where u = cos(θ) , and du = -sin(θ) dθ ?
I'm not sure why you call that "the regular u-substitution". To integrate something like [itex]\int sin(\theta) cos(\theta) d\theta[/itex] either [itex]u= cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]du= -sin(\theta)d\theta[/itex] or [itex]u= sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]du= cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex] will work. And, I suspect that most people would use the latter since, as mathman said, it avoids the negative sign.

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different fields of research or knowledge to gain a deeper understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon. It involves merging various theories, methods, and perspectives to create a more comprehensive and holistic approach to studying a subject.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration allows scientists to bridge the gaps between disciplines and to address complex questions that cannot be answered by a single field of study. It also leads to more robust and reliable findings, as multiple sources of evidence are considered. Additionally, integration can lead to the development of new theories and ideas.

3. How is integration different from interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches?

Interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches involve the collaboration of different disciplines to study a topic, but they do not necessarily aim to merge or integrate the findings. Integration, on the other hand, seeks to synthesize and combine the knowledge and methods from different fields to develop a more comprehensive understanding.

4. What are some challenges of integrating different fields of science?

One challenge is the language barrier between different disciplines, as each field may use different terminology and concepts. Another challenge is the potential for conflicting theories or findings, which may require further investigation and refinement. Additionally, there may be resistance from traditional scientific disciplines to integrate with newer or emerging fields.

5. How can scientists effectively integrate different fields of science?

Effective integration requires open-mindedness, collaboration, and communication among scientists from different fields. It also involves identifying common ground and finding ways to connect and build upon existing knowledge. Interdisciplinary training and education can also help scientists develop the skills and mindset needed for successful integration.