Confusing case of work done by friction

• Thread starter anigeo
  • Start date
NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You're using a pencil that's too hard for the value you want.
One always does, in practice. Choice of pencil is a compromise. Otherwise, there's a constant need to be sharpening a rapidly bluntening pencil. That's why when erasing a mistake, students always an indent left in the paper. FRICTION!
H pencils are designed to be used for light values.
Mostly, the use of compasses in maths and drawing requires light marks, as most are construction marks, and not meant to stand out starkly. (Quite different to an artist's needs.)

In my opinion, today's HB pencils are not what they used to be. These days HB pencils seem to be like H or even 2H pencils were a few decades back.

One always does, in practice. Choice of pencil is a compromise. Otherwise, there's a constant need to be sharpening a rapidly bluntening pencil.
That's just what has to be done with dark values: constant resharpening. The sharper the pencil the darker the line you can draw with that pencil. The blunter the pencil the more brute force that's required.

Mostly, the use of compasses in maths and drawing requires light marks, as most are construction marks, and not meant to stand out starkly. (Quite different to an artist's needs.)
Technical drawing is all done on computer nowadays, but back in the day the pencil work was generally preparation for inking, "construction lines" as you say, meant to be erased once the inking was done. Anyone doing serious pencil work had, or has, a set ranging in value. They go from 9B to 9H now.

Artists, though, almost always draw light construction lines as well.

In my opinion, today's HB pencils are not what they used to be. These days HB pencils seem to be like H or even 2H pencils were a few decades back.
I agree. They've gotten harder and I suspect that's because clay is probably cheaper than graphite. If you want the old HB softness you probably have to go to an art store and buy a B.

In any event, the situation you described is not the proper use of a pencil and doesn't change what 256bits was saying. You're not supposed to be tearing or scraping the paper.