Optimal Mirror Width for Complete Face Reflection: Solving with Ray Optics

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the minimum width of a mirror for a young lady to see her entire face. The use of ray optics and the basic laws of reflectance from a plane mirror are suggested as possible solutions. It is also highlighted that the answer may not depend on the distance between the mirror and the face. The conversation concludes with the poster gaining a better understanding and determination to approach problems with an open mind.
schumi1991`

Homework Statement

A young lady wants to see herself in a small mirror, the ear to ear width of her face is 6 in and eye to eye is 4 in. What should be the minimum width of a mirror so that she can see her face completely

Homework Equations

There a few equations which when directly applied give the required answer but i want this to be solved using pure ray optics...

The Attempt at a Solution

I've applied simple ray optics such as angle of incidence being equal to angle of reflection,but what i don't understand is that don't we require the distance of face from the mirror ...please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing it does depend on is whether or not the young lady wants to be able to see herself with both eyes or just one. If both, it would need a wider mirror than if just one.
Which is it? (She can see her face completely in both cases)

I think it has to be with both eyes...although I'm not sure exactly!

schumi1991` said:
but what i don't understand is that don't we require the distance of face from the mirror
No. If she is a distance D from the mirror, how far away is her image? That's all you need. (Draw yourself a diagram.)

BUT the main requisite of the question is that she should she her entire face in the mirror so the mirror has to be kept away from a certain distance from her face! Please Explain!

schumi1991` said:
BUT the main requisite of the question is that she should she her entire face in the mirror so the mirror has to be kept away from a certain distance from her face!
That's your assumption. Instead, draw a diagram showing the location of her image in the mirror.

Doc Al said:
That's your assumption. Instead, draw a diagram showing the location of her image in the mirror.
Yes I got it but not through ddiagram but by seeing my face in the mirror!

I've tried doing it many times but still can't find the correct solution. Although I know the answer but I have wet not been able to solve this...please help!

schumi1991` said:
I've tried doing it many times but still can't find the correct solution. Although I know the answer but I have wet not been able to solve this...please help!

I have done a ray diagram for the case where only one eye needs to see the whole face.
X and Y are the images of the ears.
I have indicated how it works if both eyes need to see the whole face.
It's not quite to scale to show the rays more clearly.

mirror.png

schumi1991` said:
Unfortunately, Stonebridge just did it for you. But the way to do it for yourself is to first figure out where the image of someone would be in the mirror. (If you don't know, then your first step is to figure that out using a ray diagram.) Then you'd be able to see that the answer doesn't depend on the distance.

I'm not sure this is so "unfortunate" as the poster was clearly unable to do this with the hints given so far. The poster wanted the case for both eyes, I think. I've done the case for just the one eye. I hope he will be able to adapt the diagram for the other scenario, and thus learn something.

Stonebridge said:
I'm not sure this is so "unfortunate" as the poster was clearly unable to do this with the hints given so far.
We have no idea what the poster was or was not capable of, since no attempt was shown. The only way to know what someone is thinking and where they are getting confused is to have them show what they've tried.

The answer for one eye has been given 5in is actually incorrect for both the eyes.I feel so stupid now, a little bit of more effort on my part would certainly have solved the problem(the answer is 1in for both the eyes)any way thanks for the ray diagram it showed me where I went wrong. I think you all will agree that sometimes we brand a problem as beyond our scope and don't give in full effort even if it could be solved with a little bit of more of effort. Thank you I'll try from now not to label any question and have an open mind in solving it.

Schumi,

You can solve such problems if you know the basic laws. Those for reflectance from a plane mirror are:

The reflected ray is in the plane defined by the normal of the mirror and the incident ray.
The reflected ray makes the same angle with the nomal as the incident ray, but travels on the other side of the normal. (See the left figure)

The image of a point is there where all the reflected rays cross.

You see an image in the direction of the light rays reaching your eye.

See the right figure that shows the image of a point-like light source. Light rays emerge in all direction and those which reach the mirror, will be reflected. The extension of the reflected rays cross each other at the other side of the mirror: You see the image at the point from where the reflected rays apparently emerge. The yellow triangle is an isoceles triangle: therefore the image is at the same distance from the mirror as the object.

ehild

Attachments

• reflection.JPG
    reflection.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

What is a confusing ray optics problem?

A confusing ray optics problem is a problem or scenario that involves the study of how light behaves when it passes through different mediums or materials. It can be challenging to solve because it requires a good understanding of the principles of ray optics and how to apply them to various situations.

What are the main principles of ray optics?

The main principles of ray optics include the laws of reflection and refraction, which describe how light behaves when it strikes a surface or passes through a material. Other important principles include Snell's law, which relates the angle of incidence to the angle of refraction, and Fermat's principle, which states that light takes the path of least time when traveling between two points.

How do I approach solving a confusing ray optics problem?

The first step in solving a confusing ray optics problem is to carefully read and understand the given scenario and identify the relevant principles and equations that apply. It is also important to draw accurate diagrams and label all relevant quantities. Then, apply the appropriate equations and solve for the unknown variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a confusing ray optics problem?

One common mistake when solving a confusing ray optics problem is using the wrong equations or applying them incorrectly. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all calculations. Another mistake is not considering all relevant factors, such as the wavelength of light or the index of refraction of a material.

How can I improve my understanding of ray optics to better solve confusing problems?

To improve your understanding of ray optics, it is essential to study and practice using the relevant principles and equations. You can also try solving different types of ray optics problems and seeking help from teachers or peers when needed. Additionally, conducting experiments and observing how light behaves in different situations can also enhance your understanding of ray optics.