Confusing System of Masses Question

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to a 1.0kg wooden block without a 0.5kg wooden block on top of it slipping. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the two blocks and the table are given, and the solution involves using the equation fs=us*N, where fs is the force of friction, us is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force on the block. By considering the normal force and the applied force, the maximum friction force can be calculated and used to determine the maximum horizontal force.
Keeo
May somebody please help me on this question, I have no idea even where to begin.

A 0.5kg wooden block is placed on top of a 1.0kg wooden block. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.35. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the level table is 0.20. What is the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the lower block without the upper block slipping?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Keeo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: which will slip first, the upper block relative to the lower block, or the lower block relative to the table?

What is the maximum possible friction force between the upper block and the lower block? :smile:

Ok, I think I can help get you started on this one. For ease I'm calling the 1kg block m1 and the .5kg block m2. First think I would do is consider the equation fs= us*N where fs is the force of friction, us is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force on the block. So, for m1 you would do this: .2*(9.8*1kg) which would then give you 1.96 N as your fs1. Hint: This is in the opposite direction of the applied force. See if that can help start you out and then go from there.

Thanks for all of your help it has actually lead me to an answer. Also thank you for welcoming me here.:biggrin:

1. What is a "Confusing System of Masses Question"?

A "Confusing System of Masses Question" is a hypothetical scenario commonly used in physics and engineering to test a person's understanding of the principles of mass, force, and motion. It typically involves a complex arrangement of objects with varying masses and positions, and asks the person to calculate the net force or acceleration of the system.

2. Why are "Confusing System of Masses Questions" used?

These types of questions are used to assess a person's problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and understanding of fundamental physical concepts. They also help to demonstrate the practical applications of these concepts in real-world scenarios.

3. How do I approach solving a "Confusing System of Masses Question"?

First, carefully read and understand the given scenario, including all the relevant information and variables. Then, draw a diagram or sketch of the system to visualize the objects and their positions. Next, apply the appropriate equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to solve for the unknown quantities. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the scenario.

4. What are some tips for solving "Confusing System of Masses Questions"?

Some helpful tips for solving these types of questions include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and identifying any symmetries or patterns in the system. It may also be useful to define variables and equations for each object in the system before attempting to solve the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving "Confusing System of Masses Questions"?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider all the forces acting on an object, such as friction or tension. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of forces and use vector addition correctly. Another common mistake is using the wrong equation or plugging in incorrect values, so it is essential to double-check your work and units before submitting an answer.