How many integer sets of 15 contain consecutive equal numbers?

• Thread starter jjmiller37
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the number of integer sets of 15 within the range of 1 to 500 and determining if any of these sets contain consecutive equal numbers. The problem is initially unclear and requires clarification, and a potential solution is proposed.
jjmiller37

Homework Statement

Given the integers from 1 to 500. How many integer sets of 15 are there?
Do any of the integer sets contain consecutive numbers that are equal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know what is meant by an integer set of 15.
I do not know what is meant by consecutive numbers being equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjmiller37 said:
I do not know what is meant by an integer set of 15.
I do not know what is meant by consecutive numbers being equal.

You're not the only one. If the problem is really written that way (in English) hand it to the teacher, and complain.

NateTG said:
You're not the only one. If the problem is really written that way (in English) hand it to the teacher, and complain.

Let me try the question again. I asked for a rewording of the question and here it is:
Consider all of the integer sequences of value n>0 where each number is a multiple of 15 between 1 and 100. How many of these subsets contain consecutive numbers that are equal?

That's still a little obscure, but I'll take a guess. There are 6 multiples of 15 in the range. You want to pick a sequence of n of them. There are 6^n ways to do that. Am I ok so far? Now you want to know how many contain consecutive equal numbers? Ask yourself how many don't. Pick the first number, you have six choices. Pick the second number. Now how many choices? Etc.

FAQ: How many integer sets of 15 contain consecutive equal numbers?

What is the consecutive number problem?

The consecutive number problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a series of numbers that follow a pattern in consecutive order.

What is an example of the consecutive number problem?

An example of the consecutive number problem is finding a series of numbers that add up to a specific sum, such as 1+2+3+4 = 10.

What are the common strategies for solving the consecutive number problem?

Some common strategies for solving the consecutive number problem include using algebraic equations, trial and error, and using patterns or patterns within patterns.

How can the consecutive number problem be applied in real life?

The consecutive number problem can be applied in real life situations such as calculating the average of a series of consecutive numbers, finding the number of days between two dates, or determining the number of steps it takes to reach a destination when each step is a consecutive number.

What skills does solving the consecutive number problem require?

Solving the consecutive number problem requires skills such as critical thinking, pattern recognition, logical reasoning, and basic mathematical operations.