Conservation of angular momentum of space station

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
olso4142
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Conservation of angular momentum

A space station shaped like a giant wheel has a radius of 1.00x10E2 m and a moment of inertia of 5.00x10E8 kgm2. A crew live on the rim and the staion is rotaing so that the crew experiences an apparent acceleration of 1g (1x9.81m/s2). When 120 people move to the center of the station for a union meeting, the angular speed changes. What apparent acceleration is experienced by the managers at the rim? Assume the average mass of a crew member is 65.0kg.



2. I think u have to use Li=Lf which is IiWi=IfWf
I=mr2 because its a disk




3. IiWi=IfWf(the group on the rim)+If2Wf2(group at the center)
the group at the centers r=0 so I=0 so that is eliminated
m(total)r2Wi=m(rim)r2Wf
I put in my masses and my radius and solved for Wi=1/5Wf

don't know what to do know or if that is even right please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the given data find the mass and velocity ( using m*v^2/r = g) of the space station. Using Wi=1/5Wf find the final velocity. From that find apparent g.