Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of angular momentum problem

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    I have been busy with rotating objects and I have a question which I don't understand. http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=RotaryMotion_AngularMomentum.xml (last question of the page, about the clay on the rod)
    What I don't understand is that the clay has a kinetic energy of KE=0,5*0,1*10^2=5J, but then one of the answers say the initial rotational kinetic energy, and thus the total energy of the system, is 2J. This is a violation of the law of conservation of energy. Please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The clay makes an inelastic collision with the rod (they stick together). Mechanical energy is not conserved.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    But where does the 3J go?

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Random internal energy, deformation... things like that. (Things get warm.)

Drop a lump of clay onto the floor. It goes splat. What happened to its kinetic energy? Same idea.

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5
    What about a solid ball that's sticky or something, will it suddenly get 3J of just because it hits a hanging rod with 5J?

7. Mar 16, 2015 #6
    * get 3J of heat

8. Mar 16, 2015 #7

Doc Al

The collision takes some time. But yes, the system loses mechanical energy; that lost energy will show up as "heat" and other forms of "random" energy.

9. Mar 16, 2015 #8
    Aha, there is also a familiar example with the conservation of moment, called the ballistic pendulum problem.
    In conclusion; (angular) momentum is always (!) conserved, but energy can be transformed into other forms of energy, but the sum is also conserved.?

10. Mar 16, 2015 #9

Doc Al

That's right. Angular momentum is conserved in such problems because there is no external torque acting. (The pivot is frictionless.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook