Conservation of angular momentum

In summary: Thus, the final angular momentum will be equal to the moment of inertia about point P multiplied by the angular velocity, plus the product of the mass and the velocity of the center of mass. In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity about the center of mass of a rod after an impulse is delivered a distance D above the center of mass. The solution involves using the reference point P to eliminate external torque and using conservation of angular momentum, taking into account the angular momentum of the center of mass.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

We have a rod of length l and mass M. It is lying on a frictionless surface and an impulse, I, is delivered to this rod a distance D above the center of mass. What is the angular velocity (omega, w) about the center of mass point.

Homework Equations

net external torque = time derivative of angular momentum
torque = r x F
angular momentum = I*w = r x p

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially, I need to find the angular velocity (w) about the center of mass of this rod. I can do it if I choose as my reference point the center of mass of the rod. But I wanted to choose a point that was in line with the impulse which would eliminate the external torque on the system and thus allow me to use conservation of angular momentum to find the same value of w, just using this new reference point.

I get w(cm) = 12*I*D/(M*l^2) for the angular velocity about the center of mass. I want to find this same answer picking as my reference point a point, P, which is parallel to the impulse point so that r X F = 0 and so Li = Lf. I do know that Li must be zero since, of course, the rod isn't moving before the impulse. Afterwards, I also know that Lf = I(about that new point P) * w. I'm not sure if I am missing something in that final Lf term or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
When using reference point P, don't forget that the angular momentum will be the sum of the angular momentum about the center of mass plus the angular momentum of the center of mass.

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if there is no external torque acting on it. In this case, the impulse applied to the rod creates a torque about the center of mass, causing it to rotate. However, if we choose a reference point that lies on the line of action of the impulse, there will be no external torque acting on the system and the angular momentum will be conserved. Therefore, the angular velocity about this point can be found using the equation L = I*w, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity.

In your attempt at a solution, you correctly identified that the initial angular momentum is zero and the final angular momentum is equal to I*w. However, it is important to note that the moment of inertia will be different for different reference points. Therefore, you will need to calculate the moment of inertia about the new reference point P in order to find the correct value of w. This can be done using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about a parallel axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the mass of the object times the square of the distance between the two axes.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of conservation of angular momentum in this scenario. Keep up the good work!

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it helps explain and predict the behavior of rotating objects or systems, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in many engineering applications, such as the design of satellites and spacecraft.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved through the principle of action and reaction, also known as Newton's third law of motion. This means that for every torque exerted on an object, there is an equal and opposite torque exerted in the opposite direction, resulting in a net angular momentum of zero.

What is an example of conservation of angular momentum in action?

A classic example of conservation of angular momentum is an ice skater spinning on the ice. When the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase in order to conserve angular momentum.

Does conservation of angular momentum only apply to objects in motion?

No, conservation of angular momentum applies to all rotating systems, including stationary objects. For example, a spinning top will continue to spin unless acted upon by an external torque because of the conservation of its angular momentum.