Conservation of energy in a circle arc.

In summary, Tom Koolen believes that the difference in the solutions is due to the different values of the mass used in the two approaches.
tomkoolen
http://www.natuurkunde.nl/servlet/supportBinaryFiles?referenceId=1&supportId=606217

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following problem:

While composing a practise test for a chapter about conservation of energy, I made a problem like the one in the image, but because I was too fast I used physically impossible values: radius = 2.0 m, α = 60° and the friction force equals 10 N. This obviously meant that v^2 gave a negative value.

However that's a problem easily solved by fixing the values. The problem I came across is that I got a different solution than someone else, while the only difference in our calculations was where we put the y = 0 line.

I considered the bottom B of the circle to be y = 0, which means that you get potential energy on the left and the right side of the balance.

The other person put the y = 0 at the horizontal line through C which means that he only gets mgΔy at the left side.

Has anyone got a clue as to why we get different values?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Koolen

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either approach will work. Can you state the specific expressions for the initial and final values of y that were used for the two approaches? The difference Δy = yf-yi should of course come out the same for the two approaches.

[Note: the assumption of a constant friction force is somewhat unrealistic in this problem since the normal force will vary during the motion. But, as a practice exercise I think it's ok.]

Thanks for your response, here are the y-values:

Approach 1: yA = 2.0 meters, yC = 2-2*tan(30) = 0.8 meters
Approach 2: deltay = 1.2 meters and that potential energy is fully converted into friction heat and kinetic energy.

I don't think the tangent is the correct trig function to use here.

To see why the two approaches are not yielding the same answers, it would probably be best to post the details of each calculation.

Alright, here's the work:

Approach 1: see attachment.
Approach 2:
mgΔy = F*s + 1/2mv^2
35 = 52 + 1.5v^2
v^2 = -11.3

The difference is only 1, but still.
I believe the tangent is correct, but apart from that, it should still give the same answer because both approaches have used the tangent.

Hopefully you can find something in the work!

Attachments

• 1376422_441040949340473_2024294355_n.jpg
    1376422_441040949340473_2024294355_n.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 363
I stand by that last sentence, but I agree that the tangent was incorrect, that was a quick thinking mistake.

I have snipped a bit of your picture and attached it here. Note that the red horizontal line is not equal to 2.0 m.

It also appears to me that you have not used the same value of the mass in various parts of your equations. What is the value of the mass?

Attachments

• slide problem.png
    slide problem.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 359
True I see that now, thanks :)
The mass equals 3 kg.

1. What is the conservation of energy in a circle arc?

The conservation of energy in a circle arc refers to the principle that the total energy of a system remains constant as the system moves along a circular path. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred between different forms.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a circular motion?

In circular motion, the conservation of energy applies by stating that the total energy of the system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy, remains constant throughout the motion. This means that as the object moves along the circular path, its kinetic energy may change, but its potential energy will also change in the opposite direction in order to maintain a constant total energy.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a circle arc?

The conservation of energy in a circle arc is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path. These factors determine the amount of kinetic and potential energy present in the system and how it is distributed throughout the motion.

4. What happens to the conservation of energy if there is friction present in a circular motion?

If there is friction present in a circular motion, some of the energy will be converted into heat and lost from the system. This means that the total energy of the system will decrease and the object will eventually slow down and come to a stop. However, the principle of conservation of energy still applies, as the total energy of the system remains constant even though it may be distributed differently.

5. How is the conservation of energy in a circle arc related to the law of conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy in a circle arc is a specific application of the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred between different forms. The law of conservation of energy applies to all systems, including circular motion, and is a fundamental principle in physics.