Conservation of energy with rotational motion problem

In summary, the homework statement is confusing because the solution does not include the rotational kinetic energy due to I_g2. The rotational kinetic energy measures energy of the body due to rotation around its center of gravity. If the person were rigidly attached to the bar so that he does not move with respect to the bar, you would be right to say the person has rotational kinetic energy 0.5*IG2*w^2.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Alright so I am confused about why the solution does not include the kinetic energy due to rotational energy from I_g2 as indicated in red in the following image. I don't understand why they would neglect it... I calculated the value and it makes a big difference.

pUlvS.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The rotational kinetic energy measures energy of the body due to rotation around its center of gravity.

The person is not spinning around his center of gravity (located somewhere in his stomach); presumably he stays upright during the ride.

aralbrec said:
The rotational kinetic energy measures energy of the body due to rotation around its center of gravity.

The person is not spinning around his center of gravity (located somewhere in his stomach); presumably he stays upright during the ride.

But the person spins around the pivot? OH is it because the center of gravity for the bar INCLUDES the person on it?

Are we suppose to make an assumption?

Last edited:
theBEAST said:
But the person spins around the bar? OH is it because the center of gravity for the bar INCLUDES the person on it?

I just saw the question says 'neglect the size of the passenger' which means IG2 = 0. Notice that IG2 << IG1 anyway.

But just to continue... the person and bar are definitely treated separately here. If the person were rigidly attached to the bar so that he does not move with respect to the bar, you would be right to say the person has rotational kinetic energy 0.5*IG2*w^2. This is because the person would be like he is part of the bar and would posses the same w.

I assumed that this ride is like most rides where the person is seated in a carriage that is pinned to the end of the arm so that the person always stays upright. Then the person does not spin and has no rotational kinetic energy.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all forms of energy involved in a system when solving problems involving conservation of energy. In rotational motion problems, it is crucial to include the kinetic energy due to rotational motion, as it is a significant component of the total energy of the system.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that all relevant forms of energy are included in the solution. If the value you calculated for the kinetic energy due to rotational motion is significantly different from the solution, it is possible that there was an error in the calculation or a missed factor.

It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the problem, as neglecting certain forms of energy may be justified in certain cases. However, if the neglect of the kinetic energy due to rotational motion is not explicitly stated in the problem, it should be included in the solution.

In any case, it is always helpful to double-check and verify all calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy in scientific problem-solving.

1. What is the conservation of energy with rotational motion?

The conservation of energy with rotational motion is a fundamental physical law that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total energy of a system remains constant, even as it undergoes rotational motion.

2. How does rotational motion affect energy conservation?

Rotational motion involves the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point. As the object rotates, its kinetic energy and potential energy may change, but the total energy of the system remains the same.

3. What is the equation for calculating rotational kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation is derived from the basic formula for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear velocity.

4. Can energy be lost in a system with rotational motion?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost in a system with rotational motion. Any changes in energy, such as a decrease in kinetic energy, will be compensated by an increase in another form of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy.

5. How does friction affect energy conservation in rotational motion?

Friction can cause a loss of energy in rotational motion, as it converts some of the object's kinetic energy into thermal energy. This means that the total energy of the system may decrease over time as the object continues to rotate, but the law of conservation of energy still holds true as the lost energy is simply transferred to another form.