1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Linear Momentum?

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Particle A & B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released the spring pushes them apart and they fly off in opposite directions free of the spring. The mass of A is twice that of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 60J. Once the transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of particle A & B

I have no clue where to start on this one.

Can Anyone Point Me In The Right Direction?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    The title of your post gives it away.
    There are two conditions that must be met:
    That the momentum of particle A is equal and opposite to the momentum of particle B. (conservation of momentum)
    That the combined kinetic energy of particle A & B is equal to 60J (conservation of energy)

Write out this two conditions in terms of mass and velocity and you should be able to solve.

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    Just wondering you know if the answer is in symbolic form or do you have numbers such as the weight of b?

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    There are no weights given for the two particles

6. Nov 16, 2005 #5
    Im still not too sure what to do.

How do I get the values of Ke

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6
    Would I use:

[tex]W=\Delta {E}_m_e_c+\Delta {E}_t_h_e[/tex]

Also I dont have a [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  8. Nov 16, 2005 #7
    ?can Anyone Help?

9. Nov 17, 2005 #8
    Sorry, been away. Ok, advanced reply doesn't seem to be working so hopefully my latex comes out ok.
    We'll go through the two conditions (conservation of momentum/energy) seperately then combine them.

Conservation of momentum:
    The momentum of the system doesn't change. Assuming the system is stationary to begin with.

[tex]P_(total)=0[/tex]

[tex]m_a*v_a + -m_b*v_b=0[/tex] <- the negative is because they are in opposite directions

[tex]m_a*v_a = m_b*v_b[/tex]

[tex](2m_b)*v_a = m_b*v_b[/tex]

[tex]v_a=\frac{1}{2}v_b[/tex]

Now for conservation of energy. The systems total inital energy is 60J. After the exchange is complete all of that energy is kinetic.
    [tex]E_(total)=60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_a*(v_a)^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2 = 60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(2m_b)*(\frac{1}{2}(v_b))^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2 = 60[/tex]

Now lets simplify that a bit.
    [tex]\frac{3}{2}(\frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2)=60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{2}KE_b=60[/tex] where [tex]KE_b=\frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?