Conservation of Linear Momentum?

In summary: KE_b=40Now we plug that back into the first equation to get the value for KE_a.\frac{1}{2}m_a*(v_a)^2 = 20We know v_a=\frac{1}{2}v_b so\frac{1}{2}m_a*(\frac{1}{2}v_b)^2 = 20\frac{1}{4}m_a*(v_b)^2 = 20KE_a=\frac{1}{4}KE_bKE_a=10In summary, the kinetic energies of particles A & B after the transfer is complete are 10J and 40J, respectively. This is based on the conditions of
suspenc3
Particle A & B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released the spring pushes them apart and they fly off in opposite directions free of the spring. The mass of A is twice that of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 60J. Once the transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of particle A & B

I have no clue where to start on this one.

Can Anyone Point Me In The Right Direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The title of your post gives it away.
There are two conditions that must be met:
That the momentum of particle A is equal and opposite to the momentum of particle B. (conservation of momentum)
That the combined kinetic energy of particle A & B is equal to 60J (conservation of energy)

Write out this two conditions in terms of mass and velocity and you should be able to solve.

suspenc3 said:
Particle A & B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released the spring pushes them apart and they fly off in opposite directions free of the spring. The mass of A is twice that of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 60J. Once the transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of particle A & B
I have no clue where to start on this one.
Can Anyone Point Me In The Right Direction?
Thanks.

Just wondering you know if the answer is in symbolic form or do you have numbers such as the weight of b?

Dantes said:
Just wondering you know if the answer is in symbolic form or do you have numbers such as the weight of b?
There are no weights given for the two particles

Kazza_765 said:
The title of your post gives it away.
There are two conditions that must be met:
That the momentum of particle A is equal and opposite to the momentum of particle B. (conservation of momentum)
That the combined kinetic energy of particle A & B is equal to 60J (conservation of energy)
Write out this two conditions in terms of mass and velocity and you should be able to solve.

Im still not too sure what to do.

How do I get the values of Ke

Would I use:

[tex]W=\Delta {E}_m_e_c+\Delta {E}_t_h_e[/tex]

Also I don't have a [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]

Last edited:
?can Anyone Help?

Sorry, been away. Ok, advanced reply doesn't seem to be working so hopefully my latex comes out ok.
We'll go through the two conditions (conservation of momentum/energy) seperately then combine them.

Conservation of momentum:
The momentum of the system doesn't change. Assuming the system is stationary to begin with.

[tex]P_(total)=0[/tex]

[tex]m_a*v_a + -m_b*v_b=0[/tex] <- the negative is because they are in opposite directions

[tex]m_a*v_a = m_b*v_b[/tex]

[tex](2m_b)*v_a = m_b*v_b[/tex]

[tex]v_a=\frac{1}{2}v_b[/tex]

Now for conservation of energy. The systems total inital energy is 60J. After the exchange is complete all of that energy is kinetic.
[tex]E_(total)=60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_a*(v_a)^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2 = 60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(2m_b)*(\frac{1}{2}(v_b))^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2 = 60[/tex]

Now let's simplify that a bit.
[tex]\frac{3}{2}(\frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2)=60[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{2}KE_b=60[/tex] where [tex]KE_b=\frac{1}{2}m_b*(v_b)^2[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the principle of conservation of linear momentum?

The principle of conservation of linear momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

2. Why is the conservation of linear momentum important?

The conservation of linear momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It allows us to analyze and solve problems involving interactions between objects, such as collisions and explosions.

3. How is the conservation of linear momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

The conservation of linear momentum is a consequence of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, their total momentum remains constant because the forces they exert on each other cancel out.

4. Can the conservation of linear momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant regardless of any internal forces or interactions between objects in the system.

5. How is the conservation of linear momentum applied in real-life situations?

The conservation of linear momentum is applied in various real-life situations, such as car crashes, rocket launches, and sports. In car crashes, the principle is used to analyze the forces involved and determine the direction and magnitude of impact. In rocket launches, it is used to calculate the thrust and acceleration of the rocket. In sports, athletes use the principle to optimize their movements and generate more momentum for better performance.