Conservation of Momentum/Collisions

• Thread starter happycreature
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conservation
In summary, the bullet remains embedded in the block after it is fired, and the block slides a distance of .260m before stopping. The initial velocity of the block is 208.75 m/s.
happycreature
Hi everyone, this is my first post to the forums. Nice to meet you all and thank you in advance.

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 6.00g is fired horizontally into a wooden block of mass 1.21kg resting on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface is 0.210. The bullet remains embedded in the block, which is observed to slide a distance 0.260m along the surface before stopping.

What is the initial velocity of the bullet?

Mass of bullet = 6.00g = 0.006kg
Mass of block = 1.21kg (+bullet) = 1.216
Coeff. of friction µk = 0.210
∆d = 0.260m

Homework Equations

∆KE + ∆PE = -Wnc
KE = 1/2mv^2
Work = F∆d
F(kf) = µk(N)
*F∆t = m(vf - vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

F(sf) = Coeff. friction x normal force = (.210)(1.21)(9.8) = 2.49 N

Work = F∆d
Work done by friction = (2.49N)(0.260m) = -0.647 J

No potential energy here so...
KEf - KEi = -0.647
KEf = 0 (the block slid to a stop)
KEi = -0.647
1/2mvi^2 = -0.647
vi = √(2)(0.647)/0.006 = 14.64 m/s

...Which is incorrect.

*Because this problem is in the chapter on momentum it seems like they want me to use an equation involving momentum, but I don't know 1)if this problem can or cannot be solved with the work-energy theorem and 2) when I would use the momentum equation in the above scenario.

For the record I also tried finding the initial velocity of the block (1.03 m/s) and putting that as my KEf for the bullet but the difference was negligible.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the bullet hits the block, not all of its kinetic energy goes into moving the block. A lot of it will be lost in breaking up the chemical bonds in the wood to embed the bullet in there.

The analysis you did assumed that the initial kinetic energy of the block was equal to the kinetic energy of the bullet, which I do not think is correct.

I suggest finding the velocity of the block of wood that would be required for it to slide 0.26 m and then using conservation of momentum to find the bullet's velocity.

Edit - I am assuming that you're looking for the speed of the bullet.

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

What is the question in the problem?

ehild

Sorry, forgot to add the question when I was writing it out! It's there now.

Harpoon, you're right. Since this is a completely inelastic collision KEf does not equal KEi. Thank you for the correction. Is this why the work-energy theorem would not work here? Because energy is not conserved?

It looks like I have to use initial and final momentums with KE = 1/2mv^2 to solve it. I'll take a second look.

There are two parts of your problem. First you have an inelastic collision between bullet and wood. You can apply conservation of momentum to get the final velocity of the block with embedded bullet. Then you have the block, the bullet inside, traveling with the velocity gained in the collision and decelerating because of friction. In that second stage, you can use Work-Energy Theorem.

ehild

...found the initial velocity of the block with the work-energy theorem, and then plugged that into m1v1 = (m1+m2)vf to solve for v1, which was 208.75 m/s (and correct).

It looks like I had some conceptual issues with work-energy and inelastic collisions.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Related to Conservation of Momentum/Collisions

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that both the momentum and the velocity of the objects involved remain unchanged after the collision.

4. How does conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The law of conservation of momentum is applicable to a wide range of real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports collisions, and rocket launches. It helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in these scenarios.

5. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. When one object experiences a change in momentum, the other object involved in the interaction experiences an equal and opposite change in momentum, in accordance with Newton's third law of motion.