Conservation of Momentum Problem

In summary: So in summary, the system must satisfy equations III and V, as they represent the conservation of momentum in the y and x directions respectively.
jli10

Homework Statement

A ball of mass [itex]m_1[/itex] travels along the x-axis in the positive direction with an initial speed of [itex]v_0[/itex]. It collides with a ball of mass [itex]m_2[/itex] that is originally at rest. After the collision, the ball of mass [itex]m_1[/itex] has velocity [itex]{v_1}_{x}{\hat{x}}+{v_1}_{y}{\hat{y}}[/itex] and the ball of mass [itex]m_2[/itex] has velocity [itex]{v_2}_{x}{\hat{x}}+{v_2}_{y}{\hat{y}}[/itex]. Consider the following five statements:

I) [itex]0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_1{v_2}_x[/itex]
II) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_y+m_2{v_2}_y[/itex]
III)[itex]0=m_1{v_1}_y+m_2{v_2}_y[/itex]
IV) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_1{v_1}_y[/itex]
V) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_2{v_2}_x[/itex]

Of these statements, the system must satisfy
a) I and II
b) III and V
c) II and V
d) III and IV
e) I and III

Homework Equations

[itex](mv)_i=(mv)_f[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never learned how to incorporate conservation of momentum into a 3-d plane...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jli10 said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass [itex]m_1[/itex] travels along the x-axis in the positive direction with an initial speed of [itex]v_0[/itex]. It collides with a ball of mass [itex]m_2[/itex] that is originally at rest. After the collision, the ball of mass [itex]m_1[/itex] has velocity [itex]{v_1}_{x}{\hat{x}}+{v_1}_{y}{\hat{y}}[/itex] and the ball of mass [itex]m_2[/itex] has velocity [itex]{v_2}_{x}{\hat{x}}+{v_2}_{y}{\hat{y}}[/itex]. Consider the following five statements:

I) [itex]0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_1{v_2}_x[/itex]
II) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_y+m_2{v_2}_y[/itex]
III)[itex]0=m_1{v_1}_y+m_2{v_2}_y[/itex]
IV) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_1{v_1}_y[/itex]
V) [itex]m_1v_0=m_1{v_1}_x+m_2{v_2}_x[/itex]

Of these statements, the system must satisfy
a) I and II
b) III and V
c) II and V
d) III and IV
e) I and III

Homework Equations

[itex](mv)_i=(mv)_f[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never learned how to incorporate conservation of momentum into a 3-d plane...

This looks like only 2-D to me?

write down the initial total momentum

then write down the final total momentum

then group the X components into one eqn and the Y components in another and see whether you can answer the question.

show your work and we can help

Whoops, sorry, I meant 2-d.
But I think I understand now... You just have to do conservation of momentum for each axis, right? Since the initial momentum is all in the x-direction, the final momentum for the y-components must sum to 0, which is shown in equation III. The initial x-momentum is given by [itex] m_1v_0 [/itex], so the sum of components for the final x-momentum should be exactly that, given by equation V. Final answer (B).

Last edited:
jli10 said:
Whoops, sorry, I meant 2-d.
But I think I understand now... You just have to do conservation of momentum for each axis, right? Since the initial momentum is all in the x-direction, the final momentum for the y-components must sum to 0, which is shown in equation III. The initial x-momentum is given by [itex] m_1v_0 [/itex], so the sum of components for the final x-momentum should be exactly that, given by equation V. Final answer (B).

That is correct.

Related to Conservation of Momentum Problem

What is the conservation of momentum problem?

The conservation of momentum problem, also known as the law of conservation of momentum, states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless an external force is applied to the system.

Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also used in many practical applications, such as rocket propulsion and collision avoidance systems.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an event or interaction must be equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction. This means that the total momentum of all the objects in the system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system may experience changes in velocity.

What are some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life include the recoil of a gun after firing a bullet, the bouncing of a ball off a wall, and the movement of a rocket in space.

How does conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the total momentum of the system remains constant as the objects exert equal and opposite forces on each other.