Conservative Force problem that has been worked but I still have a question

In summary: The notation \nabla\times\vec{F} is used to denote the cross product of two vectors. In the example above, \vec{F} and \vec{G} are both 3D euclidean vectors. The cross product of these two vectors is a 4D euclidean vector, which is written as \nabla\times\vec{F} .
karen03grae
My question: Show that [tex] \vec{F} [/tex] is a conservative vector field then find a potential function "f" such that [tex] \vec{F} =\nabla f [/tex].

[tex] \vec{F} (x,y) = sin(y)\vec{i} + (xcos(y) + sin(y))\vec{j} [/tex]

I worked the problem and found out that the force was conservative and I found the potential function. Okay, I want to know why it is considered conservative if
[tex] \frac{\partial Q} {\partial x} = \frac {\partial P} {\partial y} [/tex]

is true.

where P is the scalar function sin(y) and Q is the scalar function xcos(y) + sin(y);

Now in order to work this problem this way I had to assume that the force was conservative and then imply that all conservative forces are equal to their potential function. So I had [tex] \frac{\partial f} {\partial x} = sin(y) [/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial f} {\partial y} = xcos(y) + sin(y) [/tex]

now if I take the partial derivative of each of these with respect to the other variable then I can show that
[tex] \frac{\partial Q} {\partial x} = \frac {\partial P} {\partial y} [/tex]
by Clairaut's theorem. Well that's great that they are equal but why does that show conservatism?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the definition of a conservative force ? To give you a hint, i'd say you might consider the theorem of Stokes to be useful :wink:

Daniel.

A conservative force is independant of the path taken

No, the work done by the force is independent of the path taken.

Opps, okay the work done is independent of the path taken. And Stokes' theorem says that [tex] \int \int_S \ curl\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S} [/tex] =
[tex] \int_c\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} [/tex]

So if we take the cross product of [tex] \nabla [/tex] and [tex] \vec{F} [/tex] (Which by the way, isn't "del" an operator? How is it that we can cross and operator with a vector? I thought we could only take the cross prod. of vectors) we are left with [tex] \frac {\partial Q} {\partial x} - \frac {\partial P} {\partial y} [/tex]

And if these are equal then the force is conservative. But I still don't know why.

longshot:
Maybe it's because in order to do a surface integral one must have a closed path. And if we use Stokes' theorem and integrate along the boundary of the surface...and that integral just happens to be zero...because [tex] \frac {\partial Q} {\partial x} = \frac {\partial P} {\partial y} [/tex]
and the curl of [tex] \vec{F} [/tex] just happens to lead to
[tex] \frac {\partial Q} {\partial x} - \frac {\partial P} {\partial y} [/tex]
which equal zero then we can say that the force is conservative because no matter what the boundary of the surface is (path) the work done will still be zero because the particle started and ended in the same place.

That's right. You're on the right track. :wink: A conservative force should send you to the closed curvilinear integral of the second kind equal to zero, for ANY PATH. Applying Stokes' theorem, you automatically get the curl of the force equal to zero. Mathematically and logically speaking, it is an equivalence.

It's a notation abuse this [itex] \nabla\times\vec{F} [/itex]. Why? Well, on one hand we have that for 3D euclidean vectors

[tex] \mbox{curl} \ \vec{F}=:\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{i}F_{j}\vec{e}_{k} [/tex]

and on the other hand, for the same class of vectors

[tex] \vec{F}\times\vec{G}=:\epsilon_{ijk}F_{i}G_{j}\vec{e}_{k} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:

1. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not dissipate energy or cause any change in the total energy of a system. The work done by a conservative force is path-independent, meaning it only depends on the start and end points of the motion, and not the specific path taken.

2. How do you determine if a force is conservative?

A force is considered conservative if it meets the following criteria:

• The work done by the force is independent of the path taken
  • The work done by the force is only dependent on the start and end points of the motion
  • The work done by the force is reversible, meaning it can be undone without any loss of energy
  • The work done by the force is zero for any closed path

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces (e.g. from a spring), and electrostatic forces.

4. How do conservative forces impact the motion of objects?

Conservative forces can cause objects to move in a cyclical or oscillatory motion. This is because the work done by a conservative force is zero for any closed path, so the total energy of the system remains constant. This can result in stable orbits or simple harmonic motion.

5. Can a force be partially conservative?

Yes, a force can be partially conservative if it meets some but not all of the criteria for a conservative force. In this case, the work done by the force may depend on the path taken, but it is still reversible and has a potential energy associated with it.